Humming & Overheating; Need to find Resistor Value

bobco

Recently my 4.1 system started humming and I notice that the back of the sub was extremely hot after a few minutes after plugging it in. I opened it up and looked at the circuit boards and noticed one of the smaller boards with the Bash circuitry was discolored. I removed the resistor marked R12 and it had no resistance, i.e., it was an open circuit. I can not tell what the colors are on the resistor to determine the value due to the overheating.

Can anybody tell me what the 4 colors are? Also, the zener diode right next to it would be helpful if you could tell me what the part number is. Without cutting it off the board all I can read is 1N, which is very common, but I can't read the remaining part of the number without cutting that off the board.

Don't know if this is the cause or a symptom of another problem but I have my fingers crossed that it will fix the problem.

Appreciate the help.

The system is about 3 years old, so it is passed the warranty period.

Klipsch just emailed me today and told me another user found the value of R12 to be 680 ohms. There is no way I could have read those color values which looked like black, brown, brown, gold when the colors should be Blue, Gray, Brown, Gold, based on 680 ohms.

Nope, just a former CB operator turned Amateur Radio operator, try to be Electrical Engineer turned Civil Engineer/Combat Engineer who is now a Info Mgt Director with thinning hair! Jack of all Trades, Master of None. 1.gif