Toshiba HD vs. Mitsubishi HD

companion

Hello i am looking at buying a new hd tv for my basement the two brans i was looking at is Toshiba and Mitsubishi i am looking for 50"+ Hd rear projection wide screen tv i dont want to spend more than 1500 and also want PIP on it. Any recomendations or any other brands they can out perform them for the money

Thanks,

I will 2nd that Hitachi Ultravision is a very good tv. I got my 53" as a demo from Sears of all places for $1200 (no box and I downloaded the manual online), and I got the 3 yr protection for another $300. Ultravision is a step up (more resolution lines and features than the regular Hitachi line). This tv was last years model, and was a $2000 tv new retail. After Hitachi, I would consider Toshiba. That was my next choice of brands. Mitsus, I hear, are very good as well. Shop around. Ask if they have and demos or scratch and dent. You can find a bargain if you look. I checked every Rex, Best Buy, Circuit City for 100 miles and happened into Sears.

Here is a small review/overview of the same TV I bought last year: (Done by Consumer Guide)

"The Hitachi 62SDX88B is a 62-inch HD-ready rear-projection TV housed in an all-black cabinet, and is part of Hitachi's all-new UltraVision SDX line. It is among the finest examples of the very best of the large-screen sets. It can display more than 1000 lines of resolution. The 62SDX models feature an HDTV-ready UltraFocus with SB lens system that uses a large gun with both red and green lens filters, coupled with an UltraBlack high contrast screen. A digital 3-D Y/C comb filter brings everything into focus along with artificial intelligence circuitry that stores picture perfect images. The set includes a flex converter that acts as a line doubler. Other video circuitry includes Advanced Velocity Scan Modulation, Dynamic Focus, and Ultra Focus lens and CRTs. For a 62-inch set, images were excellent at about a 10-foot viewing range, offering very little video noise. Pictures were bright and crisp with very little distortion. Scan lines are virtually non-existent thanks to progressive scan, which normally displays everything at 480p. To improve picture quality even more, Hitachi now includes a protective screen that both protects the screen from fingers and might further improve contrast. One of the most striking features found on the 60SDX88B set is something called Magic Focus, which is really true digital auto-convergence. In essence, the set will converge itself at the touch of a button. With virtually all projection TVs, you have to line up cross hairs for red, green, and blue, which can take some time. Now, it can be done automatically in about 90 seconds. Other features include dual-tuner advanced PIP with strobe and freeze. Audio is rated at 60 watts per channel across the front into a built-in dual tweeter/midrange/woofer setup. The set includes Dolby Pro Logic circuitry built-in along with a wireless sound delivery system for the rear speakers. The 62SDX88B features a 53-button illuminated universal remote that will control VCRs, cable boxes, and audio equipment. The are three rear and one front A/V inputs and one variable audio output. Front A/V jacks with S-video are also included for the easy attachment of a camcorder. There are also dual antenna inputs so that two antenna sources may be fed into the television. If you attach an HDTV set-top box to this set, you'll receive near-HD quality images reaching almost 1080i.