4 room audio power

BruinsFan

I have 4 sets of speakers around the house (3 klipsch pairs, one infinity outdoor). What are the pros/cons to using an 8 channel distribution type amplifier (such as the rotel RMB-1048, 8 x 40) versus a good speaker selector (impendance matching/protection) and good two channel amp (ie RB-1070, 2x130).

Thanks.

A distribution amp gives you individual volume control for each of the speakers. When using a single amp to drive multiple speakers it is best to use the same kind of speaker because the ohm load is the same. Two different speakers on the same amp will cause a very complex ohm situation and it will affect your frequency response (as to how much just depends on the speakers being used).

The only con to using a distribution amplifier is that all the amps usually share the same power supply and they generally put out less power (I don't know if power is going to be an issue for you for the outside speakers). Some might argue that the distribution amp will have lesser quality, but depending on your application, this might even be a mute issue (and the quality difference probably won't be that big anyway).

I use a Parasound 110 wpc stereo amp coupled to 7 sets of speakers, each with an impedance protection volume control. This set up has worked really well. My volume controls are in a panel with the rest of my gear--had it been possible, the better plan would have been to put the volume control by each set of speakers.