another Newbie question

atcNick

You can use them as surrounds, if you want. Just keep in mind that if you prefer your surround material to be less directional (the way movie theaters have it), the S3, S2, and S1 speakers are designed to do just that. They are dipoles, meaning "in 2 directions," although in reality their diffuse sound spreads out in a wide sound field. Hence their technology, "WDST," or "wide dispersion sound technology."

But, if you plan to listen to a lot of music with all your speakers driven however, I'd recommend floorstanders or bookshelves over speakers designed specifically for surround.

By the way, cool name, Nick.

- Nick

Yea I like it a non directional. The local best buy here only has one of the surrounds and one of the center channels on display. I may have to go somewhere else to check them out.

Are the surrounds only for wall mounting or do they work with some kind of stand?

Nick

Ok. I thought the surrounds were supposed to be mounted at ear height. How high should they be mounted? Also, I have wood paneling in my living room...will this affect accoustics signficantly. Example, will I get vibrations from subwoofer or anything like that?

nick

----------------

On 11/16/2004 12:44:53 AM atcNick wrote:

I have wood paneling in my living room...will this affect accoustics signficantly. Example, will I get vibrations from subwoofer or anything like that?

nick

----------------

With wood paneling your room will be very lively. This may cause your room to "ring" or reverberate. This will initially seem good while listening, however the reflections generated off the paneling will actually color the sound in an undesireable fashion, taking the edge off the clarity. There are numerous ways of controlling the reflections including thick carpeting, heavy fabric furniture, draperies, pictures on walls, and of course an array of professional products designed just for that purpose.

Jerry Rappaport