DS

eeliot

----------------

On 12/4/2004 8:54:32 PM eeliot wrote:

If anyone plays handheld games, then tell me what you think about the nintendo DS!
1.gif

----------------

I toyed with one over at the local EB-Games store. Pretty cool how the lower screen is touch-sensitive, and that it displays maps and custom, game specific controls. The display is actually pretty nice, with true back-lighting.

I was thinking of getting one for myself, but I am going to take a wait and see to see just what kind of games will be coming out and how they take advantage of the technology.

One gripe that I know off the top of my head is that there is no way to save any of the messages and pictures you can send wirelessly with the thing. Also, it is much larger than the Game Boy Advanced SP, thus it is not as easy to carry in a pocket. It is nearly as large as the orginial Game Boy, although not anywere near as large as my trusty old Atari Lynx unit.

Also, I can see a lot of potential non-gaming uses for something like this. Will be interesting to see if Nintendo or any of the third-party outfits comes up with anything useful and interesting.

If any good RPGs come out for it (I am told there is a Final Fantasy game coming out for it), I may get one. Will be nice for that long non-stop flight out to Denver later this winter.

My two boys birthday are in November, so that's what they each got for their b-days. they love'em. they use the new ability to communicate with each other wirelessly within 30 feet or so. they play hangman together and other stuff. today, my younger boy got his first game that is made for the new DS unit.