Quintet vs. Quintet II?

cwaters

Guest Anonymous

they are going to be the same on most levels, i have seen no difference between the two thus far, they both ca be wall mounted, mounted on stands etc and have the same specs so....

----------------

On 12/14/2004 12:10:50 AM Gramas701 wrote:

they are going to be the same on most levels, i have seen no difference between the two thus far, they both ca be wall mounted, mounted on stands etc and have the same specs so....

----------------

Forgot to mention. I'm planning to put these and a KSW-10 subwoofer in a smaller-sized living room. The room serves as both the TV viewing area and the CD listening area. I'm hoping the Quintet/KSW-10 combination is a decent solution. What do you think?

Guest Anonymous

as long is it is in a really small rooom they will be fine, they are not the greatest for music, but they work great for movies in small rooms, and the ksw10 works very well with that set up. I would suggest that for placement keep the a little above ear level and not very far apart...

----------------

On 12/14/2004 1:43:21 PM Gramas701 wrote:

as long is it is in a really small rooom they will be fine, they are not the greatest for music, but they work great for movies in small rooms, and the ksw10 works very well with that set up. I would suggest that for placement keep the a little above ear level and not very far apart...

----------------

Thanks. The room is about 10' x 12'.

"...for placement keep the a little above ear level and not very apart..." I don't understand. Did you leave out a word or two?

My receiver has two dedicated subwoofer outputs; obviously, I would only use one of them. Any suggestions on a subwoofer cable? They have a variety at Best Buy, including some that have a Y-cable. Is that important?

Guest Anonymous

Thanks. The room is about 10' x 12'.

My receiver has two dedicated subwoofer outputs; obviously, I would only use one of them. Any suggestions on a subwoofer cable? They have a variety at Best Buy, including some that have a Y-cable. Is that important?

I would only use one of the outputs, but if your sub has two inputs what you can do is run a sub cable from each one of your outputs if they are a stereo output if its only an lfe jack than just use one run. Other wiise if it is stereo that may be something to consider which might give a unique sound with your sub. I have a y-cable on the input end of my sub cable that just came with my sub cable, but they are not nessecary. I would get the best sub cable that you can afford, which in my mind would be best bought from e-bay or on the internet personally, but whatever your comfort level is. All the y-cable does is split a mono signal into 2 mono signals in case your sub amp has only stereo sub inuts instead of an lfe jack only, but generally most sub anps including the ksw10 use the left ch as a mono input anyways so its really not important

as for the placement sorry about my horrible communication

place the speakers a little above ear level, so if you mount them on the wall you want them to be about a foot above your head when you are sitting on your couch and have them facing down at you. This has provided me with the best imaging etc. Keeping them relatively close together makes a huge difference in the sound stage, since they are small speakers the stage is not going to be huge and placing them far apart will cause a weak center stage and field. I would keep them for sure less than 10 ft apart but 6-8 would probably be best... this is what has worked the best for me, i have had these speakers all over the place and this has just give the best sound.....

a 10' by 12' room would be perfect for those speakers! good luck with them and if you have any questions you can just pm me if you want

Due to a new room layout, I need to run new speaker wire for these puppies and am wondering what to do. For the prior room layout, I had purchased a 100-foot spool of "Recoton Professional Grade 16-gauge Pure Copper Stranding" speaker wire.

What do you think of this wiring? Is it sufficient gauge? Do you think Monster speaker wire or some-other-name-brand speaker is worth the extra expense?

While at Radio Shack today, I noticed a "Monster Home Theatre in a Box Video & 5-Channel Speaker Subwoofer Connection Kit" (http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1597 and http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=278-2763). It comes with "high-performance speaker cable" in the lengths of: two 20-foot front, one 10-foot center, and two 35-foot rear, as well as a 10-foot "Monster subwoofer cable for non-powered or passive subwoofers". It also includes a "high-performance 8-foot component video cable". I'm wondering if this is a good deal ($100)?

One thing I like about the kit is that the non-subwoofer wiring has crimped connectors on the end--making it easy to connect to the terminals. I seem to have no end of problems twisting the contacts on the end of speaker wiring. If I don't go with the Monster HTIB kit, I wonder where I can buy these crimped connectors and what I would use to attach them. Do you know?

Due to the layout of the room, I may need to hang the rear speakers from the ceiling; will be a problem?

It would be most convenient--and, therefore, I was planning--to place the front speakers on either side of our TV--about two feet high and about five feet apart. Do you think that would be a mistake? That would certainly not be above ear level. Mounting them higher and on the walls will place them about two feet behind the TV; I would think they'd need to be placed further apart if on the wall, if for no other reason than to prevent the TV from blocking the output. Please recall that I'm using this system to listen to CDs, too.

The suggested location for the subwoofer seems to be in front of the listening area, preferably in a corner. I don't have a corner available, so I was planning to place the KSW-10 along the front wall, somewhere to the left of the TV.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 12/15/2004 3:01:01 PM cwaters wrote:

Due to the layout of the room, I may need to hang the rear speakers from the ceiling; will be a problem?

It would be most convenient--and, therefore, I was planning--to place the front speakers on either side of our TV--about two feet high and about five feet apart. Do you think that would be a mistake? That would certainly not be above ear level. Mounting them higher and on the walls will place them about two feet behind the TV; I would think they'd need to be placed further apart if on the wall, if for no other reason than to prevent the TV from blocking the output. Please recall that I'm using this system to listen to CDs, too.

The suggested location for the subwoofer seems to be in front of the listening area, preferably in a corner. I don't have a corner available, so I was planning to place the KSW-10 along the front wall, somewhere to the left of the TV.

As far as your speaker wire that would be fine, but i would recomend going to a smaller guage to 14 if possible i paid about $35 for this 14 awg monster thx certified in wall cable at ebay and i bought a 100 of the same stuf at tweeter a few years back and paid over a $100 for the same stuff. So i would really recomend that wire it was worked out great for me in the past i can send you a link if you want. When you are mounting the speakers on the cieling that will be fine there were a lot of guys in this forum that i know have done it and there are a lot of articles out there too, just make sure that you are going into studs and not straight drywall because they will fall through and that won't be good for anybody. As far as placing them 2 feet above the floor is going to kill your imaging, your highs will not be very clear i can almost promise that. If you put them above your tv and mounted on the wall that would be a lot better, if you can wait about 3 days i can send you pictures of how i have them set up, i will be done with it probably by saturday... your sub will be louder in the corner, but with a room of that size placing it on the left of the tv probably won't sound bad, but keeping it right next to the speaker especially if they are low is really going to kill your highs, i really would suggest keeping them up higher off the ground... also if your interested i can send you a link to that same speaker wire that i bought... good luck

----------------

On 12/15/2004 3:47:56 PM Gramas701 wrote:

As far as your speaker wire that would be fine, but i would recomend going to a smaller guage to 14 if possible i paid about $35 for this 14 awg monster thx certified in wall cable at ebay and i bought a 100 of the same stuf at tweeter a few years back and paid over a $100 for the same stuff. So i would really recomend that wire it was worked out great for me in the past i can send you a link if you want....also if your interested i can send you a link to that same speaker wire that i bought...

----------------

Thanks. So you have a link for Monster THX Certified cable? If you can provide it, that would be great. Does "in wall" mean that it must be used for that purpose?

----------------

On 12/15/2004 3:47:56 PM Gramas701 wrote:

As far as placing them 2 feet above the floor is going to kill your imaging, your highs will not be very clear i can almost promise that. If you put them above your tv and mounted on the wall that would be a lot better, if you can wait about 3 days i can send you pictures of how i have them set up, i will be done with it probably by saturday... your sub will be louder in the corner, but with a room of that size placing it on the left of the tv probably won't sound bad, but keeping it right next to the speaker especially if they are low is really going to kill your highs, i really would suggest keeping them up higher off the ground...

----------------

I appreciate your expertise. How high do you suggest the speakers be mounted on the wall? Should they be tilted down towards the listener? Is this recommendation applicable for both "Home Theater" and general music listening?

Guest Anonymous

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14966&item=5737936325&rd=1

this is the link to the same speaker wire that i use with the quintets, just because it says its inwall does not mean it has to be inwall, what it does have though is a third jacket that just combines the two conductors into one tightly knit wire it looms pretty decent too. I have been using thi stuff for quite some time now and i like it a lot better than monster xp for sure. I have bought from this exact same guy before and he will sell you to yout exact needs so you can just e-mail him and he will take care of you, i would recomend going through him, he has the best prices on this paticular cable too.

As far as placement, if you were standing up next to the wall where you want to put your speaker i would mount them ear level right there, then face them at a downward angle facing the listener. This will result in the best sound field, stage, and imaging, and provides probably the best highs you will be with these speakers. Lastly this will promote the best listening situation for both movies and music.

I will have mine mounted and done tommorrow so i can post pics maybe tommorrow, but i will not have had a chance to fix the old holes etc, but thats ok. You will be able to get an idea of what i mean. They are going into a bedroom so you will see what i mean. It is a really kick a$$ bedroom system for sure. Anyways if you need anything else let me know.....

Thanks for the link! I emailed him for wire suggestions and pricing.

----------------

On 12/17/2004 12:43:53 AM Gramas701 wrote:

As far as placement, if you were standing up next to the wall where you want to put your speaker i would mount them ear level right there, then face them at a downward angle facing the listener. This will result in the best sound field, stage, and imaging, and provides probably the best highs you will be with these speakers. Lastly this will promote the best listening situation for both movies and music.

----------------

The thing that concerns me with mounting the speakers on the wall is that this would put the speakers approximately two feet behind the TV; wouldn't that distort the sound field? Also, mounting them on the wall would cause them to be positioned behind the subwoofer.

Are these valid concerns?

Guest Anonymous

They are vaild, concerns, but the key is to keep them above the tv and faced down towards you, what this does is creates the sound field in front of the tv adn makes the sweet spot a little farther back, Being behind the subwoofer is also ok due to the fact that they will be up higher. I just got mine up and running about an hour ago and I will pot pics of what mine looks like, This is bar far the best set up as far as sound goes with these speakers. I will post a pic in an hour or so.