RF-7's & Parasound Halo

tthurston4

I wanted to get a set of RF-7's or RB-75's and use the Denon 3805 as the processor. I am not sure how much power I would need for a future home theater (either 5.1 or 7.1). I was looking at the Parasound Halo A51 which gives 250 watts per channel. If I went this route, would I need a dedicated line for all that power?

The other option with the Halo series is the A52 which gives 125 watts per channel. What do you suggest? I am open to suggestions of other amplifiers as well..so feel free to throw your two cents :)

The Parasound Halos have an excellent reputation. With RF-7s I would go for the 250 watt model. The RF-7s dip below 3 ohms in the bass frequencies. The impedance dip requires the amp to provide alot more current to keep the voltage level constant. Only high quality amps can provide the needed current.

The 125 watt model may work as well. Look at its rating at 4 ohms and 2 ohms. If the watts double or nearly double every time the impedance drops in half, it will do the job. If there is no 2 ohm rating on the 125 watt model, I would stick with the 250 watt model.

Bill

PS: The 250 watt amp produces 60 amps peak to peak. The 125 watt amp produces 30 amps peak to peak. The RF-7's bass will sound better with the 250 watt amp. In contrast, B&K Reference amps produce 75 amps peak to peak and Sunfire produces 80 amps peak to peak. I would recommend both over the Parasound. B

Thomas,

Expensive is not always better. Lots of speakers cost more than Khorns, but few equal or exceed their performance. We are a value oriented bunch of folks here.

Both B&K and Sunfire can follow the impedance curve of your speakers better than the Parasound. I.e., they will give a more even frequency response where the impedance dips. B&K and Sunfire have a more tube like sound that goes well with Klipsch.

I run RF-7s as small with a crossover at 80 Hz. When I switched to a Sunfire amp, there was a major tightening of the bass response as well as an increase in output. The prior amp was comparable to the 125 watt Parasound in specifications.

Bill

I'm extremely impressed with the knowledge base you Klipsch heads have! I will definetly demo some of these amps (the B&K and Sunfire) in the near future and as soon as I start actually making some loot I'll let you know how things went. Still not sure about the dedicated power line issue :-P Thanks for all your help!

~T

A dedicated 20 amp circuit is recommended, but not required for amps. Klipsch speakers loaf along at less than 1 watt most of the time. The RF-7s put out 102 db with a 2.83 volt input (around 1 watt.) Efficient speakers do not draw excessive amounts of power most of the time. Klipsch are amongst the most efficient speakers on the market.

Bill