How do I clean the wood and grills on my Chorus II's?

kenratboy

I believe it is a natural oak finish.

They are a little dirty (dried spots from liquid, no, not THAT!!!) and I want to get that clean. What cleaner can I use on the wood that will not harm the speakers? Would 409 be too harsh?

How about the grills? They had dog fur in them, but I used a sticky lint brush and a few hours of labor and they look good, but I would almost like to know if there is some way to 'wash' them - like dry cleaning or something.

At least the drivers are mint.

I do not think the grills had been removed until I bought them!!! Seriously, 10/10 condition on the drivers.

Formby's products are well-regarded in the antique wood world, and I've used their cleaner and oils to pretty up my OW Fortes. They glow. They don't have that tacky Pledge-like shine -- they just seem to sit in the room, glowing as if they had a light of their own.

I wouldn't use 409 or Fantastik or noththing like that on wood... nor Pledge, for that matter.

As for grills... uh.. I don't use 'em.. I just store 'em.. =o)

Vacuum cleaner perhaps, with a brush attachment?

I get my Formby's (a little goes a *long* way) at ACE Hardware. I imagine any decent hardware store will also carry 'em.

The cleaner is a rather strange shade of green, the lemon oil looks like, well, lemon oil.

Use the cleaner first, apply as noted on the label. Buff 'em dry with a soft cloth.

Then, the lemon oil. Mine soaked up the first coat in about 20 minutes, each subsequent coat would take longer to soak, till finally all that was left was a soft, iridescent type of glow. =o) Oak will probably glow even better than OW, as it is a shade or two lighter.

If you have (I hope not) 'glass ring' stains on the tops, you can lightly rub the stains, following the grain, with Nev-R-Dull metal polishing cotton wad. Sounds contrarian, but it works. =o)

Congrats on the Chorus. Careful you don't crack plaster with 'em. ;o)