2-ch hi-fi approach to HT...

Thoriated_Tiger

Greetings.

Now that I've put non-sucky speakers (got all-around Synergies now) in my HT, all they do is spotlight how un-involving a mediocre bottom-dollar receiver is.

I however don't have the budget to create an HT rig along the same lines of my 2-ch rig. I have 2.5K earmerked for the HT, but that's mainly for projector and screen. That leaves precious little (~600 bucks) for reciever or pre/pro + amps.

So, I'm thinking of cheating. Use this newfangled Tripath technology to get near hi-fi sound for decidedly no-fi money. ;o)

I tried the Panasonic XR-25A, a friend has one. It was a bit dull and dead with the SF2s, but with the Fortes it was 10 times worse. The Panny just doesn't seem to have the ability to drive horns to any good degree of *whack*. Weak PSUs perhaps? Impedance issues?

What I plan to do is use 3 Sonic Impact 30-dollar digital amps hooked up to either a moderately priced HT receiver (HK?) with pre-outs, or the same amps hooked up to a moderately priced pre-processor. Several Heritage owners have remarked the Sonic Impact does well with Heritage, and if it does well with those, the Synergies should be no sweat..

The problem is, I can't seem to find a pre-processor around the 500 dollar mark.

It'd need to have at least 3 video inputs, remote control, and the most neutral, clean, transparent sonics I can get for those 500 bucks.

Any ideas?

Denon AVR-1905

MSRP: $499

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=1&c=2

This would totally fit your bill and you might not even need to spend the extra $100 on the other amps (though I have a feeling you're going to get them anyway) 2.gif

I would suggest getting the reciever first and if you're not satisfied with the sound, then trying the external amps...but with the option of returning the amps if you don't find them to be an improvement.

----------------

On 1/16/2005 4:29:37 AM DrWho wrote:

Denon AVR-1905

MSRP: $499

This would totally fit your bill and you might not even need to spend the extra $100 on the other amps (though I have a feeling you're going to get them anyway)
2.gif

I would suggest getting the reciever first and if you're not satisfied with the sound, then trying the external amps...but with the option of returning the amps if you don't find them to be an improvement.

----------------

Thanks for the linkie.. found 'em in several online retailers. I never did progress to Denon in my SS days.. my cash went to Carver (flammable) and to Sumo.. then I ditched SS fer good and returned to tubes.

Denon's gear is decent, yes? Not the typical black-box sound typical of 80's and 90's "black box" receivers?

----------------

On 1/15/2005 3:00:09 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

Try the Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K for around $400 or its replacement, the 1015TX-K for a few dollars more. These receivers put out an honest 100 wpc. They should work well with your Synergy speakers.

Bill

----------------

I'll look at those too. My problem isn't wattage, it's the *quality* of the wattage. My current receiver is 100 wpc (or so it claims). It's still as dull and dynamically restrained as a wet blanket.

I don't play loud, be it HT or 2-ch. I run my fortes on 60 watt tubes, and it's overkill. But the quality of those watts is such that at 70db this thing will kick the listener past the rear wall. Without having to play loud.

That's the effect I'm looking for. Lots of dynamics and punch at low levels, with the option of cranking it if the mood strikes. It's just I don't have the budget to do it the way I know. Not yet anyway.

Primarily, I'm looking to get *away* from the typical receiver sound and into something a little more refined. I find typical mid-budget receivers to have sibilance and harshness issues, and if they don't, then they're dull and un-involving.. hence the desire to run off-board amps.

----------------

On 1/15/2005 3:00:09 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

Try the Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K for around $400 or its replacement, the 1015TX-K for a few dollars more. These receivers put out an honest 100 wpc. They should work well with your Synergy speakers.

Bill

----------------

I'll look at those too. My problem isn't wattage, it's the *quality* of the wattage. My current receiver is 100 wpc (or so it claims). It's still as dull and dynamically restrained as a wet blanket.

I don't play loud, be it HT or 2-ch. I run my fortes on 60 watt tubes, and it's overkill. But the quality of those watts is such that at 70db this thing will kick the listener past the rear wall. Without having to play loud.

That's the effect I'm looking for. Lots of dynamics and punch at low levels, with the option of cranking it if the mood strikes. It's just I don't have the budget to do it the way I know. Not yet anyway.

Primarily, I'm looking to get *away* from the typical receiver sound and into something a little more refined. I find typical mid-budget receivers to have sibilance and harshness issues, and if they don't, then they're dull and un-involving.. hence the desire to run off-board amps.