Sub crossover setting?

PaulE

My system which I use about 80% for music and the rest for Broadcast tV and DVDs uses RF-3s up front. Since it works best for music, and my receiver allows me to do so, I have my front channels crossed over at 50 hz. To blend with this, I have my sub crossover set at 70. I figure this works with my SS1 surrounds and SC1 center for all round use, and I have them crossed over at 70 also.

Now, I've heard that, when playing DVD or DTS movies, you should set the sub crossover as high as possible. Obviously, this would be all wrong for my music listening, but does it make sense for the movie watching, considering where I have my other speakers crossed?

Or is the Sub Out (LFE) channel so independant that it wants to produce frequencies up to the sub max of about 170 hz on my sub? But wouldnt this clash with the front RF-3s which are crossed at 50hz and the center crossed at 70? Would I lose much be keeping the setting for movies the same as for music, ie, crossing the sub at 70 hz?

thanks.