Denon AVR-2802 and Rx-7's

Bret_Salyer

I just upgraded from the synergy series to the Rx-7's. I will soon be in the market for amplification, but my question is for my existing setup. I have heard two sets of opinions: A) The RF-7's are so efficient you can use minimal amplification. B) This speaker's impedance loads require high power amplification.

Can I damage my speakers with my AVR-2802? Or in your opinion can I turn it up to -15 on a DTS movie track with no worries?

Bret

Bret,

If you run the RF-7s as small with the usual 80 Hz crossover, you will get by if you do not turn it up too loud. Movies like Master and Commander in DTS really demand at least a 200 watt separate amp for best results IMO.

Good amps for Klipsch Reference home theaters are B&K, Parasound, some of the Rotels and Sunfire. There are other good amps, but 200 watts is where the RF-7s start to open up. The 7 series all dip below 4 ohms with the RF-7s hitting a 2.8 ohm minimum.

The RF-7s are truly great speakers if set up properly and given good amplification.

Bill

----------------

On 6/24/2005 7:57:57 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

Movies like Master and Commander in DTS really demand at least a 200 watt separate amp for best results IMO.

----------------

That is one of my favorite recent movies and I agree it is really intense. I am certain that I could get better results and can tell I need more power to really DRIVE these speakers.

I am new to this hobby and I guess I was wondering more if I will be able to tell if my amp is clipping during movies since the dynamic bursts are so short and if not are my speakers in danger at these levels on this amp?

Or am I just being overcautious? I just don't want to damage my new speakers because I like them so much.

Bret

If you are worried about clipping, use the small setting and a 100 Hz crossover and be prepared to turn it down at the first hint of distortion. The more bass that is transferred to the sub, the lower the ower needs of the RF-7s.

IMO you can wait till you have the cash for an outboard amp as long as you use a little care. The 3802s have reasonable power.

Bill

Bret,

Solid state amps are usually easy to diagnose when clipping. The distortion is hard to miss unless the clipping is very brief.

It does not take much clipping to blow a tweeter. Big parties with too many libations and children are the biggest dangers. When folks are smashed, they ignore the distortion.

Bill