KLF20's and low power tube amps

dagljam6

Been following the forum taking notes and finally may have lucked into a pair of KLF20's local to me.

My main listening rig is an ASL AQ1001DT tube integrated amp, which I surmise won't have any problem with these speakers. I also have a nOrh SE-9 9wpc tubed integrated that I use, just not as frequently, and was wondering what impressions those of you that run low power tube equipment may have with the KLF line and low wpc.

If your amps have 4 Ohm outputs, I suggest you give them a try. Using the 4 Ohm out improve the amp's performance at frequencies where the speaker's impedance drops below 8 Ohms.

Overall power should be fine for most music. If loud passages begin to glaze over you may need more power. However, more power isn't always the answer, so be careful.

Leo

Thanks for the input. Yes, both amps have 4 ohm taps so no problem there plus I don't expect to push the gain to high on the little nOrh. The nOrh's 9 watts per channel is sweet sounding on a pair of JBL 4410's (90-91db/w) that I have but that's why I purchased it and understand its' limitations. If I can get the KLF's the JBL's are history decent but not nearly as revealing as one might expect from a monitor style speaker.

I've used a Cayin TA 30 tube amp 35 watts with my KLF 20s with very good results. Now I'm using it with La Scalas and my TA 30 has the option to pull 2 tubes out and rebias to 700 and run the amp at 4 watts with good results in the mids and highs but when you turn up the volume the bass is not there with 9 watts it may work. Depends on the size of the room and how loud you like your music also.

Xman