Wall cubic capacity for SCW-3 Speakers

Col

I have the speakers and I wish to optimise the sound, the front wall is not yet built so I have control over the cubic capacity of the wall cavity for each of the front speakers, the rear wall is existing and it is double brick with about a 3" gap. I was thinking of puching a hard foam down the gap or an expanding spray to control the cavity size.

Any on got any helpful hints

Regards4.gif

I've done similar treatments when installing speakers in ceiling cavities. Let's face it, a 6" or 8" woofer doesn't need a massive box for back pressure. I usually just fold a section of fibreglass insulation over and shove it into the cavity somewhat tightly. Seems like in a typical wall section, about a foot on either side of the cutout would give you about (4" x 14" x 30") or one cubic foot of enclosure. If that's right for an RB5, it should be about right for an in-wall installation.

Also, if you can, use adhesive between drywall and studs in the immediate vicinity to cut down on vibrations and popped nails or screws.

Michael

----------------

On 8/18/2005 10:20:18 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

... Let's face it, a 6" or 8" woofer doesn't need a massive box for back pressure. I usually just fold a section of fibreglass insulation over and shove it into the cavity somewhat tightly. Seems like in a typical wall section, about a foot on either side of the cutout would give you about (4" x 14" x 30") or one cubic foot of enclosure. If that's right for an RB5, it should be about right for an in-wall installation.

Also, if you can, use adhesive between drywall and studs in the immediate vicinity to cut down on vibrations and popped nails or screws.

Michael

----------------

with these being the mains I would think you may have it cranking from time to time . . . in that case you may want a 'double' layer of sheetrock (w/ adhesive between sheets) might be considered (on both sides if it adjoines another room to keep the peace) :dunno