RF-7's, Rogue T-II vs. Carver HR-722...Wow!

Heideana

Over the summer, I test drove a few Reference models courtesty Goodguys and finally ended up with RF-7's trying to get the same bass I was getting out of my old KG'3's. Complicating things is that I'd purchased a Rogue T-II to drive the system I was building and couldn't A/B it with the old Carver HR-722 I was driving the KG's with because of back surgery. For awhile I couldn't even get decent bass out of the RF-7's and wasn't understanding why Klipsch Tech thought I was way underpowering them given their rated sensitivity, until someone on the forum finally told me to change the impedence to 4 ohms and they opened up. Thanks to all who put up with questions during that experiment, I really learned a lot from you all!

So I just had to ship my T-II back to Rogue for repair and finally had the opportunity to run the RF-7's with the Carver HR-722 that I'd been running my old KG's with. The HR was put in storage when I replaced it with a Denon 2805 for bedroom HT and I'd sort of forgot about it. Wow, was I surprised at the how differently it reacts with the RF's compared to the Rogue!

The HR is rated at 90 watts at 4 ohms and has bit tighter bass/definition then the Rogue, but on the other hand the upper range sounds like ice picks, is really fatiguing and lacks any real gut punch on the mid-range. Also, the protection circuit kicks in at decent volume bass passages, which I assume is the RF's ohm drop in the bass register I keep reading about and why they were so happy to see 4-ohms from the Rogue?

The T-II is rated at 120 watts in ultralinear and about 60 in triode. The bass is a bit looser, but not that much looser when in triode mode, guitars/pianos and particularily drums gave the gut punch, and there's no ice picks in the ears. I'm assuming that this is because the KT-88's are a bit more forgiving to source material then silicon and do better with the impedence dips, but puzzled why it has more gut punch in the mid-to-upper range? Also, subjectively it sounds a bit louder then the Carver even in triode mode.

A solid state amp that puts 90 watts into 4 ohms will clip on the RF-7s and give that harsh sound. Negative feedback can also cause problems on horns. A good 200 watt solid state amp will help the bass and will clip less.

The tube amp clips in a different manner; it is called soft clipping for a reason.

DeanG can take much of the higher frequency harshness out of the RF-7 with his crossover mod.

Bill