SW12-ii for Movies

boomer

I have an SW12-ii that I've been using for years, but wondering how it stacks up against more modern subs built specifically for the digital excursions of todays movies. I'm sure there are probably better subs available in the $500- $750 range, but wondering just how much better. Mine sitll works so it's not a matter of having to replace it. It works fine for music, but sometimes I think it's overtaxed for movies.

Sub technology has come a long way in the last few years...I'll save

you the boring technical details, but we're talking at least 10dB more

SPL, while also digging at least half an octave lower....and doing so

with less distortion (which means more musical sounding).

In that price range I would highly suggest at least listening to the

Klipsch Sub-12. It is a monster of a sub with such a great price tag (I

think they're going for $500 over at Best Buy actually).

Thanks, I'll give it a listen. Hard for me to compare specs since they seem to have changed the standards. Marketing specs I suppose. Always bothers me though when I see something that weighs 1/2 as much as what I'm looking to replace. I'm sure that's an invalid assessment, but can't help it popping a red flag. I do see a little better freq response and spl. Amp output seems to be all distorted from the old days. More marketing measurements I suppose.

I used the SW-12 II prior to the RSW-15. It was ok down to 30 Hz, but lacked punch. The amp is too small and puts out heat. Phase is continuously variable up to 180 degrees which all subs should have.

The RSW-12 and 15, THX Ultra2 and Sub-12 all have more punch and lower extension that current movies need.

When the Reference series are updated or replaced next year, it would be a good time to update for a reasonble price.

Bill

In that price range I would highly suggest at least listening to the Klipsch Sub-12. It is a monster of a sub with such a great price tag (I think they're going for $500 over at Best Buy actually).

Would it be feasable to ADD the Sub-12 to the existing SW12 or is there too much of a mismatch in speaker dynamics?

At best, running two subwoofers yields a 6dB boost in volume when colocated in the room. When spread apart you get a 3dB boost.

However, you don't get the boost when the SW12 starts rolling off

before the Sub-12. And since it's easier to reproduce higher

frequencies, there is absolutely no advantage to "helping" the sub-12

in the 40-80Hz region.

Also, running the SW12 along with the sub-12 will decrease the

percieved LF extension of the sub-12 (if you make the higher

frequencies louder, the lower frequencies sound relatively quieter). In

the end I think you'll find yourself turning the SW12 completely off

and just running the sub-12 straight up.