I have a strange idea of how to incorporate the ifi's into theater....

Scp53

Ok, Im not sure if this is the right place to ask(I just posted this same thing in the Ifi part of the forum) this but here it goes.

I have a yamaha rx v420(5.1), rb25s,sb3s, dayton titanic mk3 10 sub, atlas 15 sub. Now, I want to add a center channel to all this. HOWEVER, I dont want to spend big dollars. Sooo, Im thinking of using one of the rb25s as a center, then taking the LR speaker level outs and running it into a converter, and then run that into the ifis. Because they are in the same series I think the rb25 would match ok. The mains(ifis) would be set to LARGE as they have a sub on them, and the center would be set as small.

And as for the rears, that would be done by my sb3s set to small. The sub duty would be done by my two subs. What do you guys/girls think about that? My MAIN REASON why Im thinking of going this way is 1) i can get the ifi's refurbed for 220ish with tax/shipping, and 2) I can use them for the computer, games, portable movies,etc.

I also think if i dont like them as mains, I could use them as rears in the same way. Just put the speaker level to line level converter in ther and Im done.

The only problem I see with using one of these converters, http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=265-026 , is over powering it. I would have to turn up the channels on the receiver resulting in turning down the master and then turning up the vol. on the ifis. ONLY if I bought a real nice converter, http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=302-307 , would I not have to worry about over driving it,etc. So that would be around 285 for all that shipped. To me that would be getting high, so the more simple and much cheaper converter is what I want to use.

Ok, sorry for the long post. Let me know comments, suggestions, etc on my idea. and, OF COURSE, this is NOT ideal. So dont talk to me about that. I just want to know if it will work pretty well. Thanks, scp53

What about the "KISS" method?

For the same price you could get yourself a very decent center channel. Is your reciever not currently hooked up to your computer? If they're in the same room I would highly recommend that approach (there's nothing like computer games with real audio).

It is also a huge hassle to carry around these 3 piece audio systems...Been there done that.

As far as doability is concerened....yes, what you're trying to achieve is electrically possible. I would never recommend it or even consider trying it on my own though; especially using a "magic box" mindset (there is no set standard for converting speaker to line level and you have no idea how these devices are achieving it). You're just setting yourself up for device failure and it's most likely not going to sound good anyway.

Btw, is there no way for you to obtain a line-level signal? No pre-outs on the reciever? any tape or recording loops? What about your multichannel source? etc etc

Thanks for the reply DrWho. No, my receiver has NO preouts.

The ONLY way to get a line level signal without converting it from speaker level is to use the 5.1 out on my DVD player. My DVD player has 6 rca outputs with adjustments for size of speakers, distance of speakers, and dB level of the speakers/sub. Currently the DVD player is connected to the receiver with optical.

So the huge drawback from using the 5.1 outs on the DVD player is that volumes would need to be adjusted seperately.

BTW, I do tape in/out so could I use that some way?

Thanks again, scp53

I would go read your user's manual, but sometimes the LR signal always gets routed to the tape output...sometimes you have to choose the sound source on your reciever's menu (which probably won't let you choose a surround mode or digital input). And usually the output corresponds with the volume dial on the reciever.