Forte' crossover mods...ideas anyone?

Blu Azure

I have a pair of black finish series one Fortes that I bought back in 1989 that are still being used as my main speakers. They sound so good I never messed with them, but after 17 years I've decided I want to finally upgrade the crossovers. I can't find anything in the archives about Forte crossovers, can some kind soul answer this question?

-The capacitor values are easy, but does anyone know the mh values of the inductor coils in the crossover and which is which?

Thanks anyone........

The woofer inductor value is 3mH; the tweeter inductor is .16mH. The 3mH unit will be much larger than the other.

I offer a complete replacement crossover called the "K-stack", which is a replica of the original network using high quality inductors, resistors and capacitors. I did my own Fortes and have done many others (including Forte II's, Chorus I and II, Academy, KLF-C7, and KLF20 and 30) with excellent results. If you need more info please ask or do a search out here. I can offer pics if you wish, just ask.

Either way, good luck!

Chris

Thanks for the tip, nice looking crososovers(!)...........which leads me to my next, very basic, question:

Aside from the resulting clearer sound, will replacing the mylar capactitors with much lower ESR polyprops change the flat frequency response curve of the crossover itself.........? I'm sure some people don't like the stock curve, but I'd hate to throw the response all over the place.

Thanks anyone.........

-Bryan

• 4 weeks later...

The search facility on these forums isn't great so excuse me if there's a better place to put this.

I just wanted to add that I've installed some new K-stack crossover networks from Chris Munson into my Forte IIs recently and they have made a definite improvement. It's still too soon to get to the bottom of all the changes, but my first reactions are all positive. There is more and clearer bass, the treble is cleaner and less aggressive, and overall the sound is cleaned up. The instructions that came from Chris were easy to follow and overall it was a painless and wholly beneficial change. Thanks, Chris!

regards

Peter Ward