Jest got me one o' them thar SACD/DVD thangs..

maxg

Local audio show on Friday. Idiot-brain here got talked into going down with a mate. Typical thing - as soon as I think I am not looking to buy anything I end up getting one dumbass piece of kit or another.

This one is a duzzie. A Sony NS900V DVD/SACD player that thinks it can play CDs (which it cant worth a dime).

Anyway its here - along with 3 SACDs. Plays DVD mucho better than my 4 year old Denon 3000 (surprise surprise) and plays SACDs as well as any of the other units at the show seemed to, to my ears and on the usual dreadful supplied speakers.

Its too early for much of an impression. Certainly seems fuller and more relaxed than CD - listened for 8 hours yesterday (all 3 SACDs, 2 XRCDs (on my old Marantz which blows the socks of the Sony in the CD playing department) and 2 concert DVDs (Cher and Fleetwood Mac)).

There is certainly a difference between XCRD and SACD, XRCD is harder and very aimed at Jazz whilst my feel is that SACD will show its main strength in Classical and maybe guitar (it is to early to tell - this is just my impression).

The difference is most strongly felt using the Tubes with the Heresy's and least strong using the Stax headphones on the Accuphase. I do not know why this should be. In fact it is the reverse order from the one I was expecting. Jazz XRCD's are at their best on the Tube/Heresy combo but this is where the SACD feels like it scores the highest.

Anyway - who knows and time will tell and if it does so will I!

Happy listening..

There is a unit that seems to do everything. Its the Pioneer 747 universal player. I have seen this at an exhibition but not heard it. The build quality seemed very below par so I would hesitate to recommend it.

The CD drawer is rubbery and flexible to the point that a disk doesnt seem to sit flat on top of it.

I would hold on for a while longer for a better quality all-in-one unit, although I cant imagine a high end item ever coming out that does it all.

As ever Separates will provide ulitmately the best quality and will, no doubt, embarass the sound I am getting out of my Sony combo unit. However, for the money, I can have no complaints.