ttrhp

hey guys,

The 6ca7 on my welborne laurel are getting weak and I am

going to replace it with a new pair.when i search on ebay for 6ca7 and

almost all the tubes that pop up are 6ca7/el34..when i replace the 6ca7

with golden dragon el34,there no sound comming out of it at all,so the

question is.Do I have to adjust anything in the amplifier

when i replace the 6ca7 with EL34?..thanks

The 6CA7 is in every way the same as the EL34. Try exchaning the two tubes and see if the problem follows the tube. It is not unheard of to get a new defective tube. Sometimes, the wire to a tube pin isn't soldered. You can fix that by heating the pin with your soldering iron and flowing some solder into the hollow pin. Also, I have found that many "Eastern" newly manufactured tubes have pins that are slightly smaller than the NOS equivalent. If you find that to be the case, you can use a dental pick to"unspread" the socket contacts. Finally, there is the possibility that your tube sneaked pass QC.

DRBILL

By the way. I wouldn't buy tubes on E-BAY. There is no telling what you are going to get. There are a number of excellent NOS vacuum tubes dealers that will stand behind their wares. My favorite is www.vacuumtubes.com

Michael Marx is an encyclopedia of tube information and he keeps an unbelievable inventory. And he ships the same day.

DRBILL