can i mount RS spekear on ceil of my Home?

heartofdarkness

I want to mount RS10 (or RS15) on the ceil of my room (h 3,30 Meters), orizzontally beyond listeing point (1 meter) e vertically oriented down toward the some point so the dipole can irradiate in same direction main axis of the room.

is it fine? i can? some problem?

Thank a lot who can help me.

Olindo

• 2 weeks later...

I just took a CEDIA class and they had a "Home Theater Expert" there to give a lecture. Two of the things that he said were: It is bad to mount a surround speaker too close to the ceiling and it is bad to point a surround speaker towards the listening position. He said the surround speakers (in a 5.1) should be at least 2 feet abover your head a to the sides of the listener, but at least 2 feet away from the ceiling. Also, pointing the speaker towards the listener does not allow the sound to create as much of a "surround" effect.

In an ideal world, with a dedicated room, what the CEDIA guy said is true...but in the real world with setups that are often far from ideal, surround placement is all about coverage. If you have a close rear seating position and you use side mounted di-poles, you are almost guaranteed to have a coverage hole in the middle seating positions, particularly if you have more than 3 seats wide. What Olindo proposes may work if the speakers are properly positioned and you are trying to get around a seating position that is within 2 feet of the back wall. If the back of your seating is further out than 3 feet, I recommend sticking with traditional side dipole placement. If your room is particularly wide...consider going to 6.1 with a monopole rear center to fill in the rear center.

Real world situations, as the sound broker pointed out, perfect set ups are not always achievable.. But with some luck, systems do come together and work too.

Think of a room with three sides..the back, left, and front, are your walls. The right side is all open to the kitchen.. So you walk into the room from the side.

I have 4 RS7's, 2 behind a couch out 12"- 16" or so from the seating position with windows behind me. These 2 are pointed up from behind the couch spread about 8 feet. Above you, up behind you, are the traditional ones on the back walls above the windows up again about 7 1/2 to 8 ft high.

What happend is, and yes it is/was luck, is the sound just envelopes you.. Just as the THX settings in 7.1 is supposed to do. It works great too! So left and right surrounds, and left and right back surrounds.. all RS7's.

This is with K horns (new AK4 networks) as fronts, and a older vertical Cornwall II on the side.. made in 1967 as the center.. A RSW 15 as the sub, and the 4 RS7's as described above. (61" samsung DLP in front of you in a "built in" book case with the center speaker underneath built in hidden behind cloth.)

Ok timbre not 100% perfect, but trust me.. it is still fantastic!

One crazy thought you want this sound to "envelope" you too. If your seats are far back at the wall can you do a little experiment and aim it at the wall iteslf behind you, if your looking to go this route? You still want that sound to come from behind you somehow. Overhead, I "think" it would just not sound right. You need some depth behind you to appreciate surround sound..

Klipsch also has these very nice inwalls you could use as surrounds. So again, try the experiement of the tweeters pointing at the wall behind you if you have to mount em overhead.. Again not an ideal situation, but neither was mine really, but it sounds great!