Amp for KP-301

psieler

Any offerings from crown or QSC will work.

I usually recommend one to purchase an amp double the rated RMS of the

speaker because a clipping amp is more dangerous than a clipping

speaker. It has to do with the fact that a clipping amp passes a DC

signal which is really good at frying compression drivers. Also, there

aren't as noticeable audible clues as to when an amp is being over

driven versus the fluttering sound the speaker will make long before it

starts blowing up.

That said, if 300W per channel is more than you'll ever use then there

is no need to waste money on something more powerful - just avoid

clipping and you'll be fine.

I too own a pair of KP-301's and I've over the past few years I've heard lot's of people advise using some kind of Professional amplifier with them,.....Just because they are Professional speakers does NOT mean one must use a Crown, Ashley, or other professioanl amplifier with them. Keep in mind that KP-301's offer 101db/wt/meter efficiency.

Mine are in my basement system strapped to the rafter joists. I have run them with a pair of Ampex 6V6 based monoblocks that rate 12 watts per channel,...and they don't just "Work," they work GREAT. I drove them for many months with an 1964 Altec "Astro"" tube receiver that put's out 22 watts per channel and again, they can ROCK! Right now they are being driven with a Dynaco ST70 and while I'll admit the extra headroom offered with a little more wattage does bring out more of the KP-301's potential, lower wattage amplifiers are just fine.

Oh, I have also driven them with an Altec solid state professional amplifier rated at 200 watts per channel,...needless to say the 301's will blow down the walls with more bass than most anyone would need.

I'm holding on to my 301's for a long time. I can't imagine a professional speaker that will play classical music so well and turn around and play Roger Daltry and The Who's "We Won't Get Fooled Again." with low wattage tube amplifiers and high wattage solid state gear.

Regards,

These are my next Holy Grail. Imagine- Cornwalls and Industrial- the best of the best (imho).

So I'm on the lookout for a fairly nice pair.

Michael

Dang, I can never tell when you guy's are kidding. Serously, I always thought of my KP-301's as (My version) of industrial Cornwalls, but I was told they actually are not. I don't recall if I was told that the drivers are not the same as Cornwalls or what.

I know they seem to be about the same size as Cornwalls, but are 301's the same as Cornwalls,...except of course for the cabnets?

Either way, I love mine.

Thanks,

There actually was a Cornwall, Professional model CP-1, interestingly enough, that is how many guys nickname my handle here!

But just as the KP250 is very similar to Heresy and is basically the latest iteration of HIP, the KP301 is like a newer version of CP-1.

It looks like a K79 in there and I think it's a higher powered woofer from the Pro series.

Michael