KG 4 identification

I have a pair of KG 4 speakers I bought new in 1988. The tag is missing on the back, so I am trying to make sure I am identifing them correctly. Above the wire terminal is printed Klipsch KG 4, and below it is printed nominal impedance: 4 ohms. Along the bottom is a copyright dated 1984. What I have read here says the nominal impedance is 6 ohms. Can anyone clarify this for me?

There was some confusion in the mid 80's as to how to calculate the "nominal" impedance. I would just go with the 4 ohms as posted on the back of the speaker.

Are you interested in selling them, or just trying to figure it out for yourself?

There is no difference in the 4 or 6 ohm KG4, they are the same internally. I have had all varieties of these and went crazy trying to figure out what Klipsch was doing. There have been posts talking about this in the past, it has to do with them using minimum or avaerage impedence.

When I got my KG4's I noticed right away the 6 ohm impedance, as opposed to my friends 4 ohm, also included was a Product Improvement Notification sheet stating an Advanced tweeter protection circuit had been added, my friends didn't include such a sheet. So, I don't think they are exactly the same speakers, I believe there is 2 variations of the KG4's. If I'm wrong I'll soon be corrected. Purchased 1990, I've had these babies awhile 977849-50

The kLIP circuit addressed tweeter diaphram failure, it should have nothing to due with system impedence. the Forte with 4 or 8 ohm markings too and was the same speaker for both versions.

I have never seen a 4 ohm KG4 with that circuit only 6 ohm, just making a note of it, they are a good speaker either way.

The kLIP circuit addressed tweeter diaphram failure, it should have nothing to due with system impedence. the Forte with 4 or 8 ohm markings too and was the same speaker for both versions.

I have never seen a 4 ohm KG4 with that circuit only 6 ohm, just making a note of it, they are a good speaker either way.

And how many KG4's have you seen?

The "nominal" impedance is a completely arbitrary number. Every speaker in the world has a wildly varying impedance...in the case of the KG4 it has an impedance dip of 4 ohms probably around 50Hz and peaks as high as 30ohms probably around 35Hz. When I get back from the pilgrimage I post some pictures to make it a bit more clear...if you average out the impedance of the KG4 at every frequency you will find it averages to about 6 ohms.

The reason that klipsch changed the ratings around was probably due to issues with tube amplifiers. A lot of 8 ohm nominal speakers have impedance swings as low as 3 ohms...so though the speaker is rated at 8 ohm, you still need to use the 4 ohm taps on the amp.

The whole idea of "easy load to drive" completely correlates to the impedance response.