Reparing speakers

voxr3m

[:)]This is the only audio forum I'm familiar with so I guess I'll ask here.

I recently came across some original DCM Time Windows for a good price. The drivers and tweeters are mint and the wood is in fair condition but there are two places on the wood tops and bottoms where the wood is splintering off from having been chipped. The splintering isn't widespread and if you exclude those areas, the wood is in fine shape. How feasible would it be for me to take the wood tops off and seal/fill the splintered parts and then refinish them?

Could all this be done with the tops in place or would it be necessary to take them off? Thanks.

Congrats on your purchases.

If large sections (bigger than 1", say) of veneer are loose or chipped, you would probably be best off with reveneering the cabinets if you want them to look nice again. There is about no way to patch the wood so it looks decent.

This would involve removing all loose veneer, using wood filler or bondo material to level out all areas and rebuild dented corners, then gluing new veneer material on over the old. Many here have done this proceedure. Use the SEARCH field and type in veneer and you should find some threads.

Good luck, I have several Cornwall cabinets here that I hope to attack soon.

Michael

Thanks for the reply!

The Time Windows aren't a traditional speaker design. It's got oak tops and bottoms but not a traditional speaker cabinet. Here's a picture of one of them.

http://img173.imageshack.us/img173/7145/picture0253eh.jpg

Here's a picture of the damage. This is the only real damage on either of the speakers. It's probably a square inch in area so it's not as big as my macro shot makes it out to be.

http://img456.imageshack.us/img456/9378/picture0138wb.jpg

I was thinking maybe I could seal it up with wood hardener and then use filler and shape it back to what it should be. Then afterwards I just sand ita bit and then apply a finish that closely matches what's there. Is that feasible?

We've had another pair of original Time Windows in our home for about 30 years and I love them. I was thrilled to find another pair that was acoustically sound.[:)]