5.1 ultras as home theater

Kulderas

Hey everyone... I currently have my 5.1 ultras hooked up to my computer, but I was wondering if it is possible to hook them up to my TV/DVD Player? If so, what would I need and how would they perform? I was thinking of just getting a nice set of headphones to use with my comp. I play alot of games where I use ventrilo so a nice set of headphones with a mic would be nice.

If you guys could recommend particular components that I would need that would be great Oh, and if you could recommend a nice set of headphones with or without a mic that would be cool too. Thanks in advance.

Josh

the Creative DDTS-100 is a excellent choice.

It can output 1/8" plugs directly to your Ultra sub amp, and can take in Coax/Optical/RCA 6-channel from any receiver/dvd player you might have.

It's definitely worth the money (the device) since you can use it anywhere and hook it up to anything really. I used to have one (sold it along with my Ultras)

-Joe

For around the price of the creative thing you could get yourself a

reciever with analog preouts and power your promedias that way. This

will give you audio/video switching as well as the option to upgrade to

real speakers in the future.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/770198.aspx

Here's another thread to check out where a few recievers with preouts are mentioned:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/739059.aspx

E-Bay is going to be your friend. I would start by filtering to the

amplifier section and then going through listing by listing until you

find something in your price range with 6 pre-outs.

http://electronics.listings.ebay.com/Home-Audio_Receivers_W0QQfromZR4QQsacatZ94903QQsocmdZListingItemList

I was actually thinking of getting a receiver. Would I need any other pieces of equipment? What is a good price range and any recommendations?

Also, unfortunately my comp is probably going to be in a different room...I'd like to have it all setup into one kick *** system, but I don't have the room...

Well if you wanted, you could run a digital line from your computer to your reciever - what kind of sound card do you have?

As far as just the tv/dvd player and all that - all you need is enough inputs on the reciever to handle everything. If you want surround sound, then you need to use a digital connection between the source material and the reciever. The Promedia Ultras would just connect to the preamp outputs on the reciever and there's not much else to consider there.

I am using an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum...did you mean run a digital line from my comp into my living room? I don't care to have cords everywhere, but I might be able to manage that...I would just like to have a pretty nice system to watch movies out in my living room...would the Ultras perform ok? Do they perform better with an actually receiver?

It is going to be hard giving not playing video games with my ultras anymore...How much would a pretty good HT system cost me for my living room?

These guys are right, a 5.1/7.1 receiver is the way to go if since a value-priced one does roughly cost the same as the DDTS-100.

The disadvantage is that the ultra's subs xover is locked at 120, so find a receiver that can xover around there (because that's where the ultra sattelites roll off) and buy some ratshack converters to conver the RCA sub-out to 1/8".

-Joe

The Ultras are perfectly fine for basic HT as long as the room isn't

huge. In fact, playing GT4 at my friends place on his Ultra system - we

watch a lot of movies here too.

I've got a Chorus II based HT back home and I would say the Ultras are

about 90% the sound of my system (and I've spent a few thousand so

far...). If you upgrade anything I would start with the subwoofer -

something ou could just use in conjuction with your current sub

actually (run the preouts with everything set to small and then leave

the better sub to do 80Hz and below - the promedia sub will cover

80-300Hz where it's automatically crossed over inside the bass amp).