building bookshelf speakers

KMyers

Well i have a few questions,I have a pair of KSF-10.5's and im thinking of turning them into a pair of bookshelfs. Now the 10.5 have dual 8'' drivers so of course i will only be using one. But should the enclosure for the bookshelf be ported or sealed? And either way how do i find the specs of the drivers to determine what size the enclosure should be if it is sealed or what size port ect.ect. Any help would be great thanks guys!!!

I wouldn't advise this. Not only will the enclosure and port need to be altered, but you will now have different impedence for the woofer portion of the crossover, which might cause a host of problems.

But perhaps someone more knowledgeable has done this or can help you with the engineering. It's not as simple as some might think.

First most people that diy speakers know the parameters of the speakers called t/s parameters. Since you do not know them and they were probably built per spec to the speakers you have now, it most likely will sound bad. As with colter saying the crossover, you simply lose volume and I think your speakers are ported? Of they are then that adds alot more problems to tuning. Also the crossovers were built with a certain hertz to be crossed and now you made the box smaller. I can go on and on but just buy some bookshelves then jerry rigging a speaker.