Building a REAL Computer

Tekk

Ok, here is why you really want high frame rates from your video card. First, you want a card that does as many frames per second as you can get. The reason is simple. On your 15 inch monitor at 640x480 your games might get plenty of fps. Now you go out and buy that 19 inch monitor and run your games at 1600x1200(which looks much much much better I highly recommend it, full screen antialias is pointless, just run at a higher res). The same video card that runs fine at 640x480 dies as it has to render well over 6 times as much to the screen esentially cutting your frame rates by 6. Now your video card that was running 180 fps at 640x480 is running around 30 fps if your lucky.

Also fps is not static during the game, it will slow when there is a lot of activity on the screen(only in 3D). Also if things such as the AI take more time you get less fps.

Also the G400 is a really poor performing 3D card bump mapping or no bump mapping, it just cannot compete with the current generation. It is however one of the best at 2D performance.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm with you on the framerate issue. I'd like to get a Suma geforce2 GTS Ultra, but 1) I live in the US and 2) I don't have like $450 to blow on a vid card, unfortunately.

So I want the best performance for the money. The Geforce MX DDR is around $145, and the next step up as I see it is the Geforce 2 GTS 32MB at around $220. The 64 MB is $285.

I dunno. It seems like the MX DDR is the best value performer.

------------------

A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish.