Infrant NAS and Squeezebox

Heideana

So I bit another bullet and purchased the Slimdevices/Infrant special to finish off my digital audio server project. I ordered it last Wednesday and it was here by Thursday!!!

I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to set-up for someone like me with very little network server experience. Gave me about 750GB of network storage and 2 wireless Squeezeboxes to access my CD collection that I'd spent a week ripping with EAC as non-compressed wav files awhile back at both my HT and Hifi systems...also wireless access for document and photo storage to boot...[8-|]

Here's the link for the special deal for anyone interested. http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_infrant.html

Looks complete and easy to use.

I went to the site and bounced around for a while and never found the tech data page. Was looking for the spec's for the NAS's internals.

Can you load virus scanning software on. Stored files are a big source of intursionary processes.

I don't know about the virus scanning software. I've got a network administrator-type friend who's pretty anxious to come over and check the unit out. I'll ask him if he has any idea.

I'm noticing that receiving wireless wav files can be a bit choppy at times and need to sort out a more central router area for more even coverage...

What I'm really happy about is no more piles of CD's or having to run a PC to play my audio files...[:D]

The concept is great. Central storage and redundant hard drives. A backup solution to tape is recommended for archiving purposes. You might need a version of a file that you last used a few months ago. Resonable backup loution stores a monthly copy for 12 months.

The choppy transmission can be either the bandwidth or the buffer and processor in the NAS system.

The bandwdith can be resolved by switching over to N or Pre-N type standards which can provide 108mb transmission rates, distance not being a factor.

The buffer or processor issue is a little more challenging. Some units allow more RAM to be added. Adding RAM helps increase the operating system cache size.

Not much can be done usally with CPU, since most of these NAS devices us a surface mounted CPU.

The models that run of LINUX seem to run better than the models that run off windows type OS (WinCe, XP tablet edition, etc).

I am looking for a NAS solution, but Iave not found a SAN or NAS solution that is a total solution package yet. Until i find one, I use a 500GB drive as my main repository. I make clones of the drive via firewire. I keep 4 copies. Any of the 5 copies (main and the 4 clones) are boot able.

I have a 9 bay cube server case that has hot swappable hard drives, dual power supplies, 400GB LTO tape drive, etc that I'll setup as a server if I can't find a decent smaller package.

Thanks for the tips!

I'm was wondering about uping the RAM in this unit...I also noticed that touching moving the squeezebox's adaptor cord stops the choppiness. The problem is in the box that's the furthest from my router, which made me think about signal strength or blockage? I'm planning on digging thru their user's forum later tonight and seeing what else I can learn there.

I'm also going to hook-up the optical out to my HT receiver when I get a chance to see how well that works...

My only complaints (so far) are that I can't figure a way to record in both AIFF (lossless) and AAC (MP4) and have the ReadyNAS separate them and only play AIFF files and it seems to take forever to download and update the iTunes library wirelessly. At one point, the Squeezebox would play the AIFF file, then the AAC file - same track. We updated the library and software and the problem went away. I did notice the music occasionally studders if we are playing with the web interface or updating the system but I think that's a buffering issue.

It may be that iTunes and ReadyNAS software aren't completely compatable but most if the time, the interface works fine.

-Bryan

Thanks for the reassurances <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Bryan! I was hoping I hadn't made a mistake since the deal really looked to good to be true ($300 savings that I can put towards their $2k Transporter). I'm really happy to report most, if not all, of the Squeezebox's stuttering went away about 24 hours after I stopped copying files onto the server. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Since the package came with two units, I hooked one Squeezebox up to my tube amp with CWIII's and the other one to my SS AV receiver with RC-7/RF-7's/KG1.0's. Playback sounds great on both systems and I'm continuing to hear new detail on just about every track I play (tonight it was the Doors Waiting for the Sun)also tighter and more defined bass that hadnt been there before (No more bloat on Band of Gypsies!!!). I can also sync playback up between the two units and really pound the house...[<:o)]

Some of the Internet Radio files available from Slimserver are MP3 files...first time I'd really listened to an MP3 file...Bass was kinda funky and lots of smeary stuff...[W] It didnt sound good on Klipsch and I don't think I really want to deal with compressed files. Does anyone know if you can buy and download redbook quality CD files on line or is that a bit too voodoo yet?.

Also, does anyone have any tips or software suggestions to add "tags" to my uncompressed wav files so I can organize them? After polling folks here, I initially ripped all of my CD's with EAC as uncompressed wav files so I'd have "exact" copies of my cds just to get the task completed and decided Id sort out the tagging issue later. Well, later is here and any help is appreciated!

Anyhow, after playing with the unit for 3 days now, I'm willing to take a step out on a limb and say it eliminates my need to buy another CD player...[:o]

Can't add much in regard to formats... I choose AIFF because it was the best-sounding format offered through iTunes (to my ears) and it didn't have a 'TICK' sound between tracks (the AAC did). Could be a lot of things and I must admit that I haven't spent much time tweaking it. Once it was setup I pretty much just listened to it - save for the occasional software update and 'fix'. I will say that when I add a CD, I now hardwire my laptop to the server - it speeds the process along.

There's a lot of suggestions to improve the sound - foremost seems to be upgrading the power supply. I haven't done that yet but the best sound I've gotten so far is from bypassing the internal DAC. I used the digital out and ran the SB through a tubed DAC. Smoothed things out quite a bit - a big improvement in my book.

Have fun -Bryan