Non-Klipsch speaker post

intotubes

Tubes---

Your Carmels are furniture 9844s, right? Great speakers, the 414 was a fine driver. I'm thinking that Model 19 style EQed crossovers would be just the ticket..........

Yes, except the horn is on top. The cabs are a little rough - nothing like yours, those are beautiful. But the sound.....it's very close to the 19's (at least the midrange). I am getting used to the extended highs of the 902 drivers. I was accustomed to the smoothness (mellowness?) of the 804 drivers. But I'm liking it. Even my wife can tell a difference - thats a big deal. [Y]

I'm gonna pull the woofers and staple some cloth over the vents from the inside so the damping isn't visible, it bothers my wife a little to see it.

Here's what I'm talking about.

These are mine before I got them. The fiberglass is a little smashed and should be replaced but you can see how the cloth covers only about half the inside of the cabinet - just enough to give the illusion of infinite blackness. The slot is not covered.

post-18184-13819317449886_thumb.jpg

Tubes---I recently put some new GPA 902-16s in my Heaths but to tell you the truth I don't hear much difference. Although the same night I swapped out the Jolida driving them for a recently worked over (by Terry DeWick in Knoxville) Fisher 500B, that made a big difference for the better.

Maybe you already read this on AK. ;-)

post-6913-13819317450246_thumb.jpg

I'm glad you're not hearing a significant difference. I briefly considered the same thing. Even called Bill for a price on the 16 ohm drivers. I think I will keep them stock.

I am really liking these 19's. So detailed. I was running the HF L-pad a little too hot, I backed it off some and it is much better. No fatigue whatsoever. I have the Carmels disconnected and stacked in the corner. Seems a shame. Maybe I can talk the spousal unit into letting me set up a system in the main part of the house. [H] Maybe not. [A]