BluRay and HD-DVD: where are the Big Guns?

damonrpayne

mas, you really need to take a look at your original post with your original opinion towards HD DVD. Calling me "non-sequitar"? Gotta love your analogy on digital cameras, if you follow your original post towards studios and manufactures' supporting HD DVD, shouldn't your analogy be along the lines of "digital cameras with higher resolution only offer slightly better image detail, and not worth the cost of manufacturing and advertising over lower resolution cameras?" If you look again at your previous comments about HD DVD, you even used the words that I quoted from your post, and replied by calling it "complete and utter nonsense". I don't want to be rude but, are you getting enough sleep over there?

Please stop bringing the article that Dvorak wrote about compatibility, because I can prove that HD DVD has no compatibility issues what so ever, so stop digging yourself into a deeper hole that you cannot fit! I think it's pretty safe to assume that Dvorak does not have a home theater setup. The more you try to explain about all the details about possible compatibility issues, the more everyone is just thinking to themselves "what the hell is this guy talking about?" Film can resolve as much resolution as up to 4k of horizontal lines, regardless of what year it was shot. Stop telling others about something that you have no first hand experience with, especially if the issue that you speak of is not effecting anybody at all. Yes, I agree that the PC side of multi media can be affected by the issues that you speak of the most, but is anyone buying home theater system really concerned about what they can or cannot watch on their 20'' monitor? Come on, lets be real here, how often do you really watch a movie on your PC's monitor? Even if you are running a HTPC setup, this still has nothing to do with whether someone should buy a HD DVD player or not....Like you said previously, HD DVD is not about passion (maybe not for you or the movie studios, but it is for me) it's about business and profit, and if that's the case, do you not see the potential for movie studios to make more profits by offering the SD and HD version of the same movie? As an added bonus, studios can make profit again on older movies that's been out for years, by offering the newer HD version.

What??? You are still debating an issue that is NOT what I was talking about. My original post was that the release of prerecorded material has been delayed several times already due to the lack of compliant hardware - the lack of which is causing issues over AACS encrypted HD material disabling too many early adopters and resulting in dumbed down output and hence pissed off consumers!! The content owners are resistant to selling copyable material without sufficient compliant hardware! It is an awkward balancing act between the release and activation of the AACS/HDCP eDRM scheme and the availability of hardware to support it!

I don't care who is supporting what format! It was NOT about what studios and manufacturers are supporting HD! It was about the slow release of product!The marketing! You have consistently mistated my position and made an incorrect statement about TVs and other equipment not needing to be compliant with the supporting trusted computing path hardware component of the protocols!

I know exactly what I am saying! I am personally encountering difficulty in specifying equipment for network security in the professional world for HIPAA and ISO17799 requirements precisely due to the necessity of having mixed use environments also be hardware compliant with HD recorded eDRM standards! Be as rude as you like. But may I suggest reading for meaning.

And who cares about resolution? Except to say that much of the older material does not support the HD resolutions! It must be a hoot for you to see so production facilities investing in those evidently unecessary HD cameras that are 'not' necessary, as all they evidently need is the correct "film"! Seldom has anyone so missed my point as they keep trying to tell me that I was talking about something else which I don't give a damn about!

But I do get a sardonic kick out of you telling me what it was that I meant to talk about! Duh!

Bottomline, I do know what I am talking about. If someone, is going to invest in equipment for the playback of AACS encrypted material, your hardware had better be HDCP complaint if you want to watch it as the standard goes hot. And the mention that TVs do not have top be compliant with the co-requistite trusted path authentication that goes with the AACS standard is absolute nonsense. Caveat Emptor.