Forte's -OR- Heresy SVS Combo

redraiderjim

I used an SVS sub with all of the following combinations and found it a wonderful combination for HT listening:

1) Forte L&R and Academy center

2) Forte L&R and Forte center

3) Cornwall L&R and Forte center (current setup)

....can't go wrong with SVS and Forte, period.

Chris

I think Dr. Who hit the nail on the head with respect to this one - if you're gonna do home theater/movies (or plan on it eventually) - then grab the SVS and you can then add another 3 Heresys later on for a 5.1 setup.

If you're just interested in 2 channel audio (music only) then the fortes do a fine job in my opinion, seeing how they go down to 32hz and have very low distortion in their bottom end. There's a old stereo review article on them from 1986. I'll look around for it and attach it here for your informed reading should I find a digital copy of it.

I happen to like non-subwoofer bass for my music listening. Subs have always tended to sound too boomy for my musical tastes, and I'm not really into screwing around with the sub settings for every song I listen to in order to get it to blend "just right." This is a subjective opinion, mind you. If you're looking at home theater one day, then a subwoofer's a must for all of those explosions, machine-gun fire, and T.rex roaring - lol.

On another note, the Heresy/SVS combo allows you more freedom in positioning your speakers in order to get those crucial mids & highs at ear level because you can prop the Heresys up on stands; the Forte's are floor-standing units and their mids are where they are - vertically speaking - end of story.

It's your call; hope this helps.

-H2G