in wall wiring for subwoofer

Surround me with sound

I am putting a 7.2 wall plate in the wall to help with the wire mess that I have behind my home theater cabinet. When I look at wall plates I find different terms for the connection for the sub woofer. Some say RCA connectors, some say F connector and some don't say anything. I am using an rw-12 sub and I have the LFE cable running from my receiver to the sub. What type of connector on the wall plate do I need? It appears that the back of the wall plate has a threaded post as if for coaxial (cablevision) type connector. Here is a link to the plate I am looking at. http://www.the-hdb-store.com/servlet/the-155/HTWP72--7.2-HOME/Detail So I want to go in to the wall plate, run something in the wall and then out to another wall plate. What do I use in the wall? And are RCA jacks the way to go with the LFE cable?

Mart, here's what I used, there are probably many similar approaches. Also, the plate you gave the link for looks very nice.

I bought a 7.2 wallplate from Parts Express. I have one sub, located across the room, so also had to run in-wall and under the floor sub cabling. Here is a link: http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?WebPage_ID=251 wall plate was less expensive that at local electronics stores.

My first approach was to buy terminated sub cable from Blue Jeans Cable on the web. Super fast service and they use Belden cabling/wire as well as some other very good cabling/wire. I bought a 24 foot length, terminated with RCA plugs on both ends, intending to use the wallplate feedthrus. Very reasonable price and the cable is in-wall rated. Nice folks to do business with and I liked the cables.

Due to a change in sub location (wife directed.....), my 24 foot cable turned out to be about 10 feet too short. Although I initially intended to buy another longer cable from Blue Jeans to accomodate the longer run, I have a roll of RG-6 coax for in-home video installations, so I just made my own in-wall cable. I also changed from my initial idea for the RCA connectors and went with F-connectors (male) on both ends of the in-wall cable, since they will screw onto the F-connector wallplate connector feedthrus. That's where I needed some special pieces for the wallplates. I bought a feedthru from Parts Express which was F-connector (female) on the inside of the wall plate and RCA (female) on the outside of the plate. I already had other Blue Jeans cable with RCAs for the LFE output from my reciever to the wall plate, so a feedthru with RCA on the room side and F-connector on the inside of the plate did the trick. My F-connector connection is tight and I don't have to worry about an RCA plug inside the electrical box possibly loosened during the process of installing the wallplate, final wire arrangements inside the box during closeup of the wallplate, etc. From the outside of the wallplate, it is a normal LFE RCA connection.

Did the same thing for the wallplate at the sub, bought blank Decora plate from Parts Express and bought the one hole wallplate insert (hex hole) and another one of the F-connector/RCA feedthrus. Works good, hope this gives you some ideas.

Larry,

Thanks so much for you input. You answered my question exactly. The 7.2 wall plate that I ordered is rca on the outside and the back is female coax. When I went to order the wall plate for the sub to plug into I could only find rca on front and back. Thats where I got confused. Thanks for the link and the info.

I love this forum. Thanks so much for your help.