Modem/Router trouble

Smokem

I hooked up a Linksys router (I use Verizon DSL) to my main computer and when I added my second PC it worked fine for 2 days now the eithernet ligth on the modem box flashes and Internet explorer works irradicaly, also the light for the second PC on the router box flahes. When I unplug the second PC both the modem and router box lights donot flash. Any help would be appreciated.

Smokem

Maybe try running the network setup wizard on the second computer? (found in the control panel). If that doesn't work, try configuring the router/internet to work on the second computer without the first computer connected.

How are you connecting to the PPPoE and which device is doing the DHCP? Usually you want the router to handle both, but sometimes that means turning stuff off on the router.

Heck, you might even just try a global restart. Turn off everything and then power up the modem. Once it's up, power up the router and then any switches//hubs whatever and then finally the computers....basically working your way back from the wall.

Smokem

Before the fourm guess wizards have you chasing your tail....lets get to the root cause.

a. go to Mcafee's web site and down load a utility called stinger and follow the instructions to run it on each of your PCs'. Stinger is a self contained virsu scanning and removal tool that will check for vulnerabilities on your PC's....some one may have to do this for you if your home network is clogged.

b. install and ensure that your are recieving virus signature updates from your virus scanning software manufacture.

c. if you are not sharing files on your home network, disable windoes file sharing on your PC's. Check the windows help menu to find out how to do this.

d. if you have XP, enable windows firewall on the network card.

e. If you have XP, ensure you have all the updates.

f. If you do not have XP, get XP, or get a MAC, the older operating systems are not supported anymore.

g. Does your router have stateful packet inspection....meaning is it a firewall also or just a NAT router...if you just have a NAT router with no SPI, your at risk, time to get a router with SPI (firewall).