Klipsch K-33 vs JBL 130A Driver

Hi All,

I would like to get some opinions on the the advantages and or disadvantages of swapping out the K-33 drivers in my 1983 K-Horns for a pair of JBL 130A drivers. In researching the subject it seems most feel that the JBL's would be an improvement over the K-33's and then again some say leave well enough alone that the difference does not warrent the swap so now I'm not 100% convenced its a good move on my part and at a 400.00 to 600.00 price tag for the JBL's its a fairly sizeable gamble. I love my K-Horns and if the JBL's will make a positive improvement I want it. So fellow Klipschpiles give me your thoughts Keep the K-33's or go for the JBL's, thanks.

Dave

Although Bruce Edger likes the JBL 130A inthe Khorn....I found it to be lacking.....I feel the JBL very early 2205 is a better match....we just talked about this a couple of months ago on this forum......I just accuired a couple of JBL 130B very early units...as yet havent tried them & would like to sell them. If interested drop me an Email.

In my view, the woofer opening of a 1983 model khorn would not lend itself to a D130 driver. Basically, the D130 driver can perform in the 400 - 1600 range, but the 1983 Khorn cab would be holding it back.

Speakerfritz......Explain yourself ? The 130 is not a midbass driver.....How would a 83 Khorn hold it back? What woofer opening are you talking about? 6x13 ? 3x13? This only effects its upper bandwidth.

Speakerfritz......Explain yourself ? The 130 is not a midbass driver.....How would a 83 Khorn hold it back? What woofer opening are you talking about? 6x13 ? 3x13? This only effects its upper bandwidth.

yes....you got it..the JBL 130A performs well thru the woofer range and into the midbass range so my take is that it is going to waste in a cab like a khorn.

yes...I would make a 6X13 opening the exception if you xoverd using a gentel slope network.

That depends on what charts your useing, and what time frame...The copper ribbon voice coils and long megnetic gaps changed some what...130A,,B FS of 29 Cone & VC needed to be changed.....Fender was blowing them up (power cap at 25 watts) Gap changed , cone changed.To avoid meltdown. Check Lansing forum for complete details.

Maron Horonzak

So one needs to be cautious...is it the 40hzFS version, the 37hzFS version,

All the more reason why you should probally post the spec's that pertain to the one's you have....or if the originator of the thread has spec's for the one's he's considering...he should post that.

When we get into the buisness of using wide range woofers in k-horn cabinets there is a point where the accoustic capacitance of the khorn design becomes the brick wall.......so a driver that may fair well in an front loaded horn will be wasted in a khorn cab.

One of my all time favorite drivers is the ACR/Fostex PA38 15inch woofer. frequency response of 40hz - 4khz, 101db spl at 1 watt, 180w continuous power rating. The PA38 would be an excellent driver in a front loaded horn...but wasted in a khorn cab. Where used in a khorn cab, it's used in a 6X13 senerio.

Fritz.....Yes it could be a pig in a poke if you dont know what your doing.....Some T.S perimiters can be troublesome But some you can let slide....The Khorn can be forgiving or it can be death.....I believe George Ashworth tested most of them.....I have stacks of his findings Before T.S. specs. That Khorn # 145 sure got its workout George was a mono man till he died..One Khorn upstairs,,One downstairs ....I.m not famillier with the PA38. Just the FW405N and W400AII