What Would You Do?

I know what I'm ultimatly going to end up doing, but it's nice to wish in one hand....

A week ago I ordered a 500 Gig external hard drive for one of the computers here at work. Good deal from BUY.COM, $120 after rebate. Needed it to load 13 DVD's onto for one of our repair programs, nice to not have to switch discs when you go from Chevy to Lexus or whatever. It also means I can access any of that date from home through Remote Desktop and not need to worry which disc is in the drive. Anyway...

Today my drive showed up, though I was confused why it came in two identical boxes. Both with shipping labels to me. Signed for em and checked the packing lists. Ah Ha. A Mr. Boeleo in New York is probably not getting his drive as soon as he expected!! Two different order numbers, same item, same shipping labels, different tracking numbers and different "ship to" listings on the packing lists. So I call up the only number on Buy.coms' web site I could find, which is the ordering number. Finally got ahold of a person after a few seconds shy of 5 minutes. (Length of call timer on phone display.) Talked to Jose in TX, he sounded pleased that I'd called and would need to get me hooked up to a service rep to get me off a Call Tag so they could pick it up. All well and good. I probably didn't talk to him for more than 60 seconds. When the call timer rolled over to TWENTY minutes, I hung up. I have a business to run, customers to please and things to do. I'm sure with tracking numbers and what have you I will get a call in a few days after Mr. Boeleo calls in b1tching that his drive hasn't shown up and they check to see where it's gone to. At that time they'll send me a call tag and come pick it up, though it would be sweet if they just said skip it and sent him one and forgot about my free one.

Am I obligated to keep calling them to try and send back something that was incorrectly shipped by them once I've made the first attempt?

Oh Yeah.. got the drive hooked up, transfered 130gb of data to it, and no more disc swapping!! After I retrained myself on how to remap network drives, enable sharing and all that fun stuff that I only do once every three years or so.

This happens quite a bit and usally clears itself out.

If you try to clear things up to soon, the ends may not connect.

At some point, your going to get a label for the second drive to ship it back.

I am not sure of all of the actual legal ramifications, but my 'casual' street understanding is that you are not required to return any unsolicited shipment.

But I hope that there are a few attorneys who might better explain this issue.