Harman Kardon AVR147 receiver and composite/s-video conversion on output?

I recently purchased and installed my first ever receiver, an HK AVR147. My television is a 32" Sony CRT with a composite and s-video input, however, only one of them can be connected at any time. So, based on this and what I read in the HK manual, I took the safe route and connected everything with composite only which is my lowest common denominator (VCR).

Everything works fine but some friends at work said I should use s-video instead where possible. I thought I'd post this in the forum first though because it's not easy to access the back of the receiver to change things.

For a slight boost in video quality, I'd like to use s-video from my DVD player and cable box to the receiver and composite from the VCR to the receiver. Then, s-video from the receiver to the TV instead of composite. Will the receiver be smart enough to convert the composite input from the VCR to the s-video output? I know that it won't upconvert to HDMI but I figure that composite to s-video shouldn't be that hard since it's analog. Also, this is a stretch but I wonder if it would upconvert to component as well since it's analog too?

I know that many of the Yamaha receivers do this but it's not clear in the HK manual if this HK does.

Thanks, Rob.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I decided to try changing it to s-video and it looks like the HK AVR147 doesn't convert between s-video and composite. On the bright side though, I managed to locate the manuals for my old DVD player and TV and it turns out that they have some features that I didn't know about. It turns out that the TV can have both s-video and composite connected at the same time and all I have to do is press the TV/VIDEO button twice. Anyways, just decided to post this in case it helps anyone else who may be wondering.