GMX A-2.1 : "Crackling" sound whenever I adjust the volume.

My warranty for this speaker is almost up. This started to happen about 2 months ago. Whenever I adjust the volume, there are "crackling" noises that come off the satellites. After the volume has been adjusted, then I could use the unit normally again. I have several friends who have experienced this as well.

How can I solve this "crackling" sound when I adjust the volume. A product of this kind shouldn't have this right?

Help please.

This system is sold for US$150 - 200. My guess is Kli---- gets $100?. As a result, the volume POT is 50 cents (probably).

The wiper contact on the POT wears out in no time. (I had the same problem !)

Get "contact cleaner spray" from RadioShack? and spray into the shaft of the POT while turning it back and forth quite

a few times (power off, of course). This should takes care this, for now, until dust and/or wearing occurs again.

Hope this help. Don't be supprised if one or both sattelites go out if the problem gets worst.

^Thank you for the quick reply. I'll make sure to do what you advised.

One question, what does POT mean?

I hope that the satellites don't give out in less than 2 years. I've had cheaper speakers that still work without a hitch for me since my Intel 486 PC. Although this speaker set costs "only" $150.00 or so, it's still 150 bucks of hard earned dough. Tsk.

Can any Klipsch representative give more advice on how to solve this "crackling" sound?

Much obliged. (^^,)

POT - Potentiometer (volume knobs, one for main, the other for Sat. or Sub ?)

About the satellites, I meant you just loose sound (not blown) 'cause you loose
the

signal fed to amplifier which power them due to dirty or worn out wiper on the POT.

I forgot, make sure to remove the plastic knob to be sure the cleaner gets inside the

body of the POTs when you spray.

Get your spray, 99.99% solved.

Hope this will clear up.

• 3 weeks later...

After reading this thread i decided to check out the pod on my GMX 2.1 set up. I have worked on many electronics before so I think i can help any one looking to clean their volume and sub pots. Here is the process:

Remove the volume and sub knobs. They pull straight off. Then using needle nose pliers or a deep socket, remove the jam nut that sits under each knob. Also there is a washer under each nut, so be sure not to lose it.

On the under side of the pod, remove each of the 4 sticky little rubber feet. Under each of the rubber feet is a screw. Remove all 4 screws and remove the plasic bottom of the pod.

Now u will be looking at the under side of the circuit board that each pot is mounted directly to. Again, 4 screws hold the circuit board to the upper half of the pod. Remove the 4 screws and gently pull the circuit board from the upper half of the pod. The pots are connected to the circuit board directly, so gently pull them out with the circuit board.

With the circuit board out, you can now use your contact cleaner to clean/lube/protect both pots. I used Caig Deoxit D5 spray to clean mine. It was recommened to me by a tech a long time ago and i have had great experience with it. However, contact cleaner from Radio Shack would probably work fine too. To clean the pots look on the side of the "barrel" shaped bottom. On the volume pot u can see one hole. Using the straw attached to my spray can, i gently give a couple tiny little sprays in the hole while working the shaft around. I like to do this until i feel the shaft inside the pot turn with much greater ease than it did before i sprayed it.

On the sub pot, there is no little hole on the side of it, so i sprayed the inside of the pot where it opened to be mounted to the circuit board. You can see 3 tabs that exit the pot to mount/connect to the circuit board. Use the straw on your spray can and spray it inside the pot then work the shaft around.

If a little bit of the spray drips out of each pot , just pat it dry with a little paper towel. It won't hurt anything. After you are finished, reverse the process and put it back together. The only thing to watch is the lttle led light that sticks in the opening of the top of the pod.. I had to bend mine back ever so slightly and it popped right into place as i installed the circuit board in upper half of the pod. The process will probably take you 10-20 minutes. Just take your time. It is an easy, easy fix. Good luck!

Dave

I had the crackling sounds for the longest time during a small range of volume adjustments. Not pleasant, but I worked around it, mostly using software to adjust volume on a regular basis. As of yesterday, I no longer get sound out of one speaker. If I pull the audio cable from the back of my POT I can make the other speaker work, but they never will come back on together anymore. I've been so very happy with the sound of my Klipsch up until this point, I'd rather not have to take anything apart if I can help it. Any quick(er) fix? I'm assuming the dust issue applies here, as we have recently had construction in the neighborhood and seems to be an excess in the air. Appreciate any tips, tricks, success (or horror) stories you kind folks may be able to share.

-pEEAT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...