Klipsch Recommended systems: best audio quality or is there something more to them?

Allen O

I was going to be building a system of two RF-52 floorstandings, four RS-42s, an RC-52 and an RW-10D. A problem though: I can only get the RF-62 floorstandings, and not the RF-62 speaker system (my store does not carry the RS-52s, RC-62 in addition to the RF-52). I can however secure the components of the RB-61 Home Theater system, which includes the RW-10D, the RS-42s, RC-52 and RW-10D.

My fear is that the sound would be horribly unbalanced, and would require a lot of decibel tweaking at the receiver to get the balanced feel back. And even then I wonder if it'll be the same. Would it be a good idea to stick with the Klipsch recommended systems,
or would there be a greater overrall sound quality to using RF-62s over
the RF-52s in the RF-52 speaker package? Or is it like I feared and it would be worse with RF-62s in the system?

That kinda sucks. I'm sure if he can get the RF52's he can get everything else. He might just have to special order them. Tell him you'll give him a deposit and maybe he'll order them for you.

You'd probably like the RF62's + RC52, but the RC62 is a little better. I wouldn't go with 4 x RS42's either. The RS's go well on the sides but not as rear surrounds. The rear surrounds should be direct radiating for best performance.

4 x RB61's would be better than 4 x RS42's which is another option.

Well, I can indeed get the RF62 setup, but the issue for me is cost. Cannot go into details, but being a employee of a major retail chain gains me certain "perks." For some things, the perks are better than on others. And lets just say, the best perks on are the RC52, RS42, and the RF62. And the Sub I listed. I do not get "perks" on the RF52s, but I do on the RB 61s.

So its not recommended that I go 4 RS42s? Hmmm, i can see the point. So What about 2 RS42s for the sides, 4 RB61s (two front two back), the RC52, and the RW-10d? Or again, would the RF62s be best up front?

In other words, you work at Best Buy and can only purchase the lines they stock [;)]

I think you might be overthinking the purchase just a bit because all the speakers in the reference line are timbre matched as closely as possible. The differences that exist are actually going to be trumped by room acoustics. Even if you had three RF-62's along the front, the center speaker is going to sound different. Same for the surrounds too.

I would just purchase the best speaker for each position and then not worry about it. The recommended lineups are just that - recommendations.

hope this helps

So What about 2 RS42s for the sides, 4 RB61s (two front two back), the RC52, and the RW-10d? Or again, would the RF62s be best up front?

They will work dandy on the sides. The RB61's will sound great as fronts and rears but the RF62's will sound a little bit better with 2-channel audio.

Can you get a deal on the RW12d? It's a good step up for a small difference in price. Well worth it in my books.

One thing you might want to consider is the quality of your receiver. If it's low end then matching speakers becomes a little more important because the AVR might not be able to tweak the setup as well as a more expensive one.

My thoughts:

RF-62 (125W, 97dB) (or RB61) fronts

RC-52 center (125W, 96dB)

RS-52 Surrounds (100W, 95dB)

RB-61 Rears (100W, 95dB)

RW-12d Subwoofer

If you can't get the RS-52 and the RS-42 is a good deal then you can always try them out. They will still sound very very good.

In other words, you work at Best Buy and can only purchase the lines they stock [;)]

I think you might be overthinking the purchase just a bit because all the speakers in the reference line are timbre matched as closely as possible. The differences that exist are actually going to be trumped by room acoustics. Even if you had three RF-62's along the front, the center speaker is going to sound different. Same for the surrounds too.

I would just purchase the best speaker for each position and then not worry about it. The recommended lineups are just that - recommendations.

hope this helps

I'd say he has a magnolia

Yep, ask your manager to ask the head office why they carry such an assortment of Klipsch product. This is the kind of call/letter we receive every day.

The setup you mention isn't bad, just not what we've engineered. There is a reason that the RF62, RB62, RC62 were designed. They go together.