Upgrade for my THX Ultra2 - Palladium technology

skrapid3

Well, I have been a proud and satisfied owner of a Klipsch THX Ultra2 7.2 system (7x KL650) ever since it was introduced in 2004 (I got the very first set that was ever sold in Austria...).

Last year I got bored and was beginning to think about an upgrade - looking for the "next best thing". As I'm not into the Klipsch Heritage stuff (I know, I know - blasphemy...say no more) the Klipsch Premier(e) line catched my eye - probably one of the most beautiful speaker I have ever seen.

One sad day Amy confirmed that this project has been cancelled. So I was looking at some other brands for my upcoming upgrade - doing alot of auditioning (KEF Reference, JBL Synthesis/K2, Teufel,...) and was finally about to make a decision.

What happens? - Klipsch is back with the new Palladium P-39F. Not quite as striking as the previous Premiere design but that may change when I actually see it in person.

A couple of questions:

Hopefully the designer/product manager cares to chime in.

- Will a black piano gloss finish be available for the P-39F?

- How would you describe the sonic signature of the upcoming Palladium? Please compare it to THX Ultra2 (KL650), Reference RF-5/7 and the new RF-82/83 - all of which I have first hand experience with.

- Regarding the last sentence in the press release: "

For a complete home theater
experience, six other globally-inspired high-end models, which use the
same technology and design principles as the P-39F, will be introduced
at CES 2008 in Las Vegas."

Please give us some hints about those 6 upcoming Palladium based designs - I expect a somewhat "smaller" Floorstanding Speaker, a center, a surround di/bi-pole and probably a bookshelf. Perhaps a subwoofer with a new design.

- MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION:

Are there any plans for a THX Ultra2 successor? It has been quite a while since 2004... Is it correct that the "THX Ultra2" lead designer has left Klipsch? Is this making development difficult?

To be perfectly honest - and with all due respect - I am not quite sure I would take the Palladium P-39F over other options in this price segment - we are talking brands like KEF, Wilson, Revel here... It will be a hard sell in this highly competitive market segment - I wish Klipsch all the success they deserve.

What I am really looking forward to is that some of the Palladium technology (drivers, extended high-frequency response, new high-temperature neodymium magnets, 3-way design,...) will make it into an improved THX U2 successor.

Am I just day dreaming here or is there something to look forward to for all your high end home theater/custom installs enthusiasts, who are not quite as excited about the THX U2 performance now as we were back in 2004?

Thank you very much!

• Moderators

Hey there! Unfortunately, I don't have very many answers for you at this time. I do know that this will not be available in the high gloss black--just the three wood veneers only. You're pretty close on up coming additional models!

I haven't heard anything definite on a THX Ultra upgrade, but that doesn't mean it isn't coming.

As far as product comparisons, that will likely come as we finalize the product, run spec comparisons, detailed listening tests, etc. We just aren't at that final stage quite yet. Almost [:)]

Please stayed tuned for more info....