Speaker configuration

marco46

Hey people, I'm new to this forum and a bit of a novice when it comes to set-up.

I just bought a pair of Synergy F1s with Sub-10 which I have hooked up to a Yamaha RX-V599 receiver.

I am wanting to know the best set-up for this, such as the sub gain and cross-over point.

Also, after playing the speakers at a moderate level for a few hours, I decided to bump up the volume a bit (-5dB) and I heard a pop sound from the floor standing speaker. It has now happened twice when I put the volume high, seemed to be when bass started to kick in. Is this normal? Something to be worried about? Fixed with proper set-up?

Any advice is appreciated, thanking you in advance.

Many subwoofers have an option to auto power-on. They do this when a
signal is detected. There is a small delay in the time that the signal
is detected and when the sub powers up. By the time the sub starts playing the volume is up a
little and you might hear a thump or low frequency pop as it kicks in.

The pop in your fronts could be clipping (Wikipedia on clipping). I would have thought that the Yamaha receiver would not clip, but it is a lower end RXV model. It might not clip anymore with the crossover set to 80Hz and the fronts as smalls as this will take some of the strain off the receiver.

Yeah, I assumed it was clipping from doing some reading on it.

Can these pops do any damage if they only happen a few times (while I play around with the settings).

If they continue should I set the crossover to 85Hz or maybe higher?

Should I not be going louder that 0dB or does this not matter? What I'm trying to say is, is there a volume level which I shouldn't really go to?

Thank you

Clipping will damage the drivers over time. I don't know to what extent and I guess it would depend on how much clipping happened and the type of speaker. The S1 are supposed to be able to handle 100W continuous and 400 peak. It's probably really loud in at -10dB or -20dB I would think. The only way to decide on the max volume would be to experiment and see at what level the clipping starts. You said -5dB earlier, you might want to not push much past -10 or -15dB with that amp. Putting the crossover above 80Hz is an option but you'd be missing out on the frequency capabilities of your fronts. If you like it ear busting loud then you might have to do that until you get a better receiver.