In-wall speaker questions

markmaple

We are building a new addition that hold a family room and part of an expanded kitchen. I've purchased some Klipsch in-wall speakers for the family room and ceiling speakers for the kitchen. I was reading in some old threads where the in-walls should have about 1.5 cu ft of wall cavity. One old thread showed a mounting box that someone made, but it was filled with batting material. I assumed that the insulation in the wall should be removed to create an enclosure. Is this correct? The manual doesn't address this.

In the Klipsch HQ in Indy, June 2007 we listened to some in-wall speakers and they were very good indeed. ( I think the same room as the 60th K-horns if I recall correctly )

At that point in time we were told that they were designed to operate in a standard 2x4" wall cavity of regular 16" OC construction. With a 2x6" wall, the added volume would quite possibly be a moot point.

Are your plans to install the in-walls in an EXTERIOR wall>? If so is there anyway you could change your design plan to include them in another wall instead? Another option would be to make that wall thicker than normal to include proper insulation, yet still having adequate volume for the speaker to operate in.