Heresy Replacement woofers at Layne Audio

mike9186

Mike--I dunno, sounds kinky to me. There's no free lunch, if the replacement driver allows lower bass it will most likely be at the expense of efficiency, then the speaker will be out of balance. And a long throw woofer throwing long will also make an increase in distortion that will effect the midrange produced by the woofer. Fact is the Heresey was designed with certain tradeoffs in mind: for the given box size PWK sacrificed bass extension for efficiency and low distortion, that's just the nature of the thing. Better to gain bass extension with a sub than with a different woofer I'm thinking. Or buy Cornwalls or Choruses.

A word to the wise:

I had an interesting, and I think revealing, experience with Layne Audio a couple of weeks ago. I was looking for a replacement for a K-77 (University Sound T35a) tweeter they advertised on their web site for $110 (new old stock since they aren't made any more). The Layne Audio guy I talked to said they had sold out but that two of them had been returned by a buyer. He said they were probably the last two in the country and wanted $125 each for them and wouldn't sell only one since he could put them on e-bay and get $200 each for them. I didn't like the idea of being held up that way so I said "No thanks." On a hunch, I looked at their web site again and saw they charge a 20% restocking fee for returned merchandise, so in addition to trying to hold me up, Layne had already collected over $40 on the same tweeters. A few days later I found some (NOS) T35a's for $45 each.

I came across the Layne Audio website a couple of months ago, and was curious about the Heresy woofers. Given that they were a relatively cheap buy, I got them for myself for christmas. I looked at it as just one more in an ongoing series of hi-fi experiments. If I didn't like how they sounded, I could always replace the stock k-24 woofers. I've had them installed for a couple of weeks now, and I think that they sound much better than I anticipated. After stuffing the Heresy box with about 24 oz of polyfill per speaker, the bass is a bit deeper than the stock k-24, and they sound just a bit *livelier* than the k-24 (I think the improved magnet makes them slighlty more efficient than the k-24). The Heresy's now blend much better with the ksw-12 subwoofer I have.

All in all, this has been a great addition to the Heresy.

Just wanted to post a follow-up to these messages. After letting the new woofers break in for a while, I think that the change in the Heresy's has been very good. It is hard to explain the differece - the music seems to have taken on a fullness that just wasn't there before.

They also take volume like never before. If you like your music loud, they will simply make your ears bleed, with no signs of distortion at all.

Other than applying the rope caulking to the horns, this has definately been the best improvement to the overall sound of these speakers.