Sub placment is crucial ! IMO

Swerv

First id like to say hello to everyone. *waves*

I'm new to the forums. cool.gif I bought the v2.400's for X-Xmas and I'm extremely happy with them. although I cant say the same for my parents, Ex. broken mirror in their room. and the constant boom boom boom you hear from downstairs.

I'll get to my point about the sub placement in a sec here.. just want to give my 2cents on some of the other things talked ab00t in this topic. smile.gif

people that talk about the crackling sound from the preamp, I noticed this slightly and it went away when I unplugged system and turned volume knob up/down over and over for a while.

as far as the mid range goes, that's what Eq's are for. Keep reminding yourself that these are multimedia computer speakers... Remember the speakers that came with computers back in 1995? Those were a joke, thanks to klipsch for changing the whole speakers for computers sounding like children's cheap boom box's to decent sounding HT(I have to say this cause all those audiophiles will attack me!).

one thing I really noticed was how different the system sounded in 4 diff locations.

- my room (where they are now)

sub placement was crucial I ended up putting the sub underneath my corner desk, with the front port facing about 4" away from the wall. this seemed to amplify the bass more at the recommended THX setting for me. there were some spots in my room where it sounded like there was NO bass at all! hehe must be something to do with rarefaction overlapping or a silent node, (I'm in HS so I am not very knowledgeable with this stuff)

in the corner opposite to me desk the bass was twice as loud, must be cause of twice the amp caused by 2 compressions. (I'm guessing here)

- living room

where I first tried them out, (sounded amazing, since low freq waves are longer , the bass sounded really good in the larger living room. I often lug down my speakers from upstairs to watch a cool dvd movie with friends (now I got to convince dad to get a set of his own!)

- small sun room/study room

sounded extremely clear and very tight punchy bass! (best sounding place that I tested.)

- basement

lets just say this was the worst location of the ones I tested. concrete floor cant help...I think

so if you are not happy with your subwoofer volume levels or if it is too "boomy/muddy" try changing the position of the sub.

sorry if anything I said was inaccurate, I'm still learning a lot about sound physics etc..

Also i forgot to add that i tried them at my friends house for a party, it took about 20 min to find an ideal location for sub, his room acoustics sucked, oh well, i guess im lucky.

if anyone has any tips or ideas of where is the sweet spot for the sub please let me know, (im just going by ear)

hmm usually hard surface floors are better because they reflect all the bass instead of absorbing it (plush carpet is terrible).

i've never used my pro's at home, but when i had my acs48's, no matter where i put them in my room, the bass would be boomy and not very loud, even at high volume. however directly above my room (in the kitchen) it sounded even louder (not counting that most of the sound got absorbed in the ceiling). this sucked because i couldn't have loud bass without bothering the whole house. my room is a small cube shape with plush carpet, btw.

my dorm room is a whole nother story now. its slightly larger then my room (heh). we have a flat crappy carpet (my roomie's hehe), but it doesn't cover the whole floor. my sub is directly on the floor (no carpet). also, my desk is sort of enclosed. where my sub and puter are, it is enclosed on all sides except the front obviously. 2 of the walls are concrete cinder blocks and the third is a hard wood surface. here, the sub is punchy and powerful, but it dissappates rapidly. this is a good thing, because even when really loud it doesn't carry through to the neighboor's too badly.

quote:

hmm usually hard surface floors are better because they reflect all the bass instead of absorbing it (plush carpet is terrible).

On the contrary, most home theater types try to avoid reflection as much as possible. There are two main reasons for that: echo and frequency response. If you have echo, then music can't be accurately reproduced. It messes up time coherance and can lead to very unnatural sound.

Frequency response can also become very uneven in a highly reflactive room. For example, you might have a 100hz tone, and then play a 150hz tone which might be 10db louder. This is usually due to waves cancelling out at certain areas when colliding with each other. Most speakers aim at getting frequency response at flat as possible, but room acoustics can easily undue this.

i donno for some reason the sun room that i tried the klipsch had normal walls, high carpet, and was rectangular slightly, almost like a box..

the sub was placed near the wall opposite to the couch with port facing me and sats on each side,

(i prefer using only 2 sats when listening to music)

the music sounded perfect like if the speakers were designed for that little room, so maybe the carpet does mess it up, but in that room it doesnt for some reason. smile.gif

also, where is a good place to post reviews of Dvd's on the promedias?

here is the spectral analysis of one scene from the Titan AE dvd which had tones of bass (this one rattled my windows)

the part where the ship is in between 2 gigantic ice crystals which are about to collide.

look at the attached file

(if it worked)

note the freqency. this was at 75% windows volume and 75% volume on the klipsch with the recomended (33% sub) volume.