My PROMEDIA ULTRA 5.1 system is emitting a strange echoing sound distortion. Please Help!

Squall

Yes, that's right, my 5.1 system sounds like it's being played in a long hallway. It's as if it's being played on an outdoor radio that you'd hear outside of a convience store or something. I hear no screeching sound, and all 5 speakers and sub are working, but just incorrectly with a very hollow-sounding performance. Could I possibly have a connection problem? Windows troubleshooting doesn't seem to help; I even tried following its instructions for an updated sound card to no avail. I will say this, however: I recently took my cpu into a repair shop and had windows reinstalled. When I hooked the speakers back up, I had the problem. Anyone have any ideas?

Ah, that was it. Thanks. For some reason it was set to generic, which really messed it up. Unfortanetely, however, I just realized my rear speaker isn't working hardly at all anymore (after running a speaker test)... Does this mean I need a replacement?