Thoughts on RS-3 surround speakers?

guitarman

Just scored a pair of RS-3s off Craiglist for $100 for the pair in black. Now I'm looking for the same or similiar to replace my el cheapo rear surrounds. Wish they were in Walnut to match my Forte IIs and KT-LCR (center...scored from this forum!), but you can't have everything. I've slowly put this system together on a budget and tink I've done pretty well so far.

Is $100 a good price for a pair of RS-3s? (I think I got a great deal, just looking for thoughts)

Anybody tried to apply veneer to these? (The edges would be a pain!)

Not that it's a big deal, but the webisite (Klipsch) says they are 61Hz-20kHz±3dB, but the manual (which I downloaded) say 49hz-20khz. Wonder why the discrepancy? I tend to believe the 61Hz figure more than the latter, based on its size, etc.

Would anything currently available work for rear surrounds, or will I have to keep searching Craigslist and EBay?

Thanks

My own assessment is that the RS-3's are a major step up. Of course, that is like saying a Ferrari is a "step up" from a Kia. At any rate, I'm extremely satisfied and they blend very well with my fronts and center.

I just ordered some SS.5's off EBay for the rear. I could be off base, but I'm looking at them like "mini" RS-3s. Probably not accurate, but the specs are close. Crossover of RS-3 is 2100hz and SS.5 is 2200hz. Should be a fairly close timbre match. And, I think there is a certain "rightness" to having the rear surrounds looking like miniture versions of the side surrounds....not sure why that is, but it just feels right.

I'll try to give an update when the SS.5s arrive and are integrated. (I have to run the Audyssey setup again?.....darn!)

BTW, before I ran Audyssey calibration (on my 805), the RS-3's were bright (as the calibration was for the previous 4" fullrange surrounds). I also had to raise the level by at least 4db from the old speakers (I thought they would have been more efficient...wait, I think the cheap Pioneers are 4 ohms....). After the calibration (which takes about 40 mins for 8 positions) they blended perfectly.