Tannoy TS8 overload, is this normal?

GennadiyKorol

Hello everyone,

I have bought a pair of RSX-4 together with Tannoy TS8 sub for music some weeks ago. After having time for serious listening I've noticed that TS8 gets easily distorted even at below medium volume levels with tracks that have enough of deep bass. Running some test signals have shown that it starts rattling with anything below 40 - 45hz even at really moderate volume levels (at -50 db with Pioneer VSX-517).

Is this normal? From a sub that costs twice my reciever I would expect the ability to filter the frequencies it cannot reproduce properly. But then it can't produce anywhere near the stated 32hz in the specs.

I bought this as a demo set, may it be the case of unit being damaged, or is this sub just very weak?

Right now I am thinking about upgrading it to RSW10/12 or so, any advice here is helpful.

Thanks beforehand,

Gennadiy

15 would probably be an overkill for my small room (about 3 on 4 meters).

The salesman agreed to replace the sub with something more powerful. Right now I am deciding between RW-10 and RW-12, could anyone please share experience with them, is RW-12 that much better?

I'll be using RF-52 for fronts so I guess they will cover most of the bass for music. What I am looking for is more punch for the movies.

Thanks!

The 12" has about double the cone area of a 10..... in other words to produce the same volume it needs to move half as much. In the interest of cutting distortion levels down ( all forms of distortion ) I see no point in going with a 10", skip it and go to the 12. You will be much better off.