amp question for RF7 Setup ( sherbourn vs adcom vs b&k)

bignasty27

Have never heard of Emotiva but will look into it but I may just stick with the B&K.

It's funny you should mention this because that's where I was at a couple of months ago. Emotiva? This name kept popping up when I was doing my research at all the home theater and stereo addict forums. I made a list of all the companys I was interested in and some of the ones you have mentioned were on that list. I went to their forum - http://emotivalounge.proboards54.com/ and researched there but you know there's going to be a bias. Whatever you do .......... do not let the pretty blue lights, the good looking equipment, the five year warranty, or the outrageously low prices sway you or you could be afflicted with Emotiva fever. It happened to me and before I knew it I had spent $1448 on 1100 watts (conservatively rated I'm sure). They were offering free shipping at the time so that saved over $100 (XPA-2 weighs almost 80 lbs) and no tax outside of Tennesee.

Thanks for all the responses. Interesting read and different amp options are great.

Have thought about the DeanG crossover.I sent him an email a few weeks back but have still not heard from him. Does anyone have his current email address? Do you know the price range to get this done??

dgwescott@sbcglobal.net I don't remember how much, but I can say it was well worth it.

Room acoustics? Well, the setup is in my basement. Cinderblock walls covered by new drywall with drywall ceilings and a laminate floor. I have a Monster Power conditioner.

Some use foam, acoustic panels, curtains or carpet to "deaden" a room. this stops sound from bouncing around and off of hard surfaces. See link below for more info.

http://www.auralex.com/

Any other amps or suggestions??

If your amp is plugged into your power conditioner, you may want to try it directly plugged into the wall and see if that makes a difference.

Emotiva is the first separate type amp that I've owned but I have heard Rotel, Sunfire and Adcom at others houses and they all seemed to work well. Maybe I was just itch'n to try something different but I decided on trying out either Emotiva or Outlaw stuff based on the reviews of others since they are internet sales only and you can't go somewhere to hear them. I was concerned about the Emotiva amps being too bright with the RF-7's but they aren't and there's just great clean power with lots of headroom. I don't consider myself to be an audiophile but if I can do small upgrades to my sound equipment without spending lots of money then I know I'm on the right track. My wife doesn't know anything at all about the different companies and what they offer but she could hear the difference when I changed things around in my system. I don't have thousands of dollars to spend on this type of equipment so Emotiva has met all my requirements so far and made my Klipsch speakers sound great.