New Forte midrange...how to tell diaphragm polarity?

Blu Azure

After owning a pair of series one Forte's since 1988, I just decided to replace the midrange horns (K-53-K ) diaphragms with new ones (one had a little corrosion on the windings). These were new diaphragms just purchased from Klipsch.

My question: the old diaphragms ones had a yellow spot of paint on the + terminal, easy to spot. The new ones have no mark, line, paint, or any visible way to tell which terminal is + or -.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to determine the polarity of a 'blank' diaphragm?

They do measure at 11.9 ohms, identical to the stock ones, so Klipsch is at least winding them properly.

-Bryan

Edited by reiver62

The FAT one is the positive terminal. It's a pretty easy swap out and the Klipsch replacment parts are the best way to return your beloved older Klipsch speakers back to their original state.

I usually take a piece of masking tape and fold it over and run it around the magnet gap to catch any loose particles before carefully installing the new VC/diapragm. Be very careful not to touch the windings or VC former, they can be fragile.

happy listening!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Thought I would reply to my post after 6 years(!)

I remember when I replaced my original midranges/tweeter diaphragms with new Klipsch diapgrams it really did clear up the sound...imaging was much clearer with a rock-solid open sound Left-Right. I also upgraded the mylar caps to Dayton 1% PP which have an open neutral tone instead of boutique brightness, North Creek air coil on the tweeter, generic bipolar on the woofer. I left the bass iron core and midrange transformer alone. They now sound way better than my stock Forte 2's which sound aggressive in comparison.

BTW, When the Forte I was reviewed by Stereo Review back in its heyday, they said it had one of the flattest frequency responses they had ever measured. I think sticking with the factory diapragms and crossover values makes sense.

Edited by reiver62