speakers

pappajon

I bought a 65" LCD HDMI TV and want to put in surround sound. I bought Klipsch RC-35 center and Klipsch RVX-54 front speakers. I noticed there are 4 terminals on the back and they have a jumper on them. I was told for better sond to take the jumper off and run seperate wires to them. That is one question. I am not sure what rear speakers to buy and how would I know if they have 2 or 4 terminals on them. I was looking as RS-10 and RSX -5 rear speakers. What would you suggest for rears and do they have 2 or 4 terminals. I am in the process of a remodel and I need to run the rear wires now.

I will also be needing a receiver and sub woofer.. any suggestions

The 4 binder posts are to allow for "bi-wiring" i.e. running one set of wires to the HF section and another pair of wires to the LF section. If you do a search you will find lots of discussion on bi-wiring. Bottom line is that it is pretty much a marketing gimmick. One pair of wires to each speaker is sufficient. I mean, after all, how's the poor electron to know which wire to take - unless, of course, the wires have arrows on 'em.

Here's a blog entry by a Klipsch engineer on the subject:

http://forums.klipsch.com/blogs/andyw/archive/2007/08/31/bi-wiring.aspx

By the way, welcome to the forum!

James

I am not sure what bi-wiring refers to, but I am familiar with bi-amping a speaker.

I have a 7.1 Onkyo TX-SR706B receiver with 100 watts per channel. I have only two F-3s on my front side and a Synergy Sub-10.

In accordance with Onkyo's manual, I wired the front channel speaker outputs to the woofer connectors on the speaker (the lower terminals) and then I take the unused amplification power from the surround back channels and wire them to the tweeters (the upper terminals). Then I set my receiver's speaker setup to indicate the fronts are bi-amped, and I easily noticed about a 5dB volume increase and pronounced clarity.

That's my experience. Do I think it's a gimmick? Positively not.

The 4 binder posts are to allow for "bi-wiring" i.e. running one set of wires to the HF section and another pair of wires to the LF section. If you do a search you will find lots of discussion on bi-wiring. Bottom line is that it is pretty much a marketing gimmick. One pair of wires to each speaker is sufficient. I mean, after all, how's the poor electron to know which wire to take - unless, of course, the wires have arrows on 'em.

Here's a blog entry by a Klipsch engineer on the subject:

http://forums.klipsch.com/blogs/andyw/archive/2007/08/31/bi-wiring.aspx

By the way, welcome to the forum!

James

If it's a marketing gimmick, then why would Klipsch make their speakers with extra wire posts???[:^)]

I am not sure what bi-wiring refers to, but I am familiar with bi-amping a speaker.

I have a 7.1 Onkyo TX-SR706B receiver with 100 watts per channel. I have only two F-3s on my front side and a Synergy Sub-10.

In accordance with Onkyo's manual, I wired the front channel speaker outputs to the woofer connectors on the speaker (the lower terminals) and then I take the unused amplification power from the surround back channels and wire them to the tweeters (the upper terminals). Then I set my receiver's speaker setup to indicate the fronts are bi-amped, and I easily noticed about a 5dB volume increase and pronounced clarity.

That's my experience. Do I think it's a gimmick? Positively not.

I agree! [Y]

My sincere apologies to you, James. I presumed that bi-wiring and bi-amping were different terms for the same schematic in speaker wiring. I didn't mean to invalidate your post and in hindsight, I realize I had inadvertently been rude towards you.

Thank you for affording me the impetus to discover that a minor difference in terminology can indicate differing setups that are worlds apart.

Kind regards,

Norm Mowry