I need connection help/RP-3!!

ktuskey

I need some help connecting my RP-3's to my receiver (Onkyo TX-DS797). On the back of my receiver, I have a port marked "SUB" which I already use for my Dalhquist Subwoofer. I also have two ports marked "PRE OUT" with L/R connectors. On the back of the RP-3's there is a LINE IN and LFE IN. I want to use LFE IN because I want to take advantage of it in my 5.1 system. However, I don't know what they mean when they say, "Do not connect this input to a full range (unfiltered) pre-amp output.". HUH? I'm attaching a URL that will give you a rear view of my receiver. Can someone please tell me how I'm supposed to connect this to the receiver (what ports)? Remember that the "SUB" port is already used by my subwoofer. Any help would be appreciated. Should I connect to the "PRE OUT" -- one to the left one to the right or do I have "Y" the "SUB" connection and do it that way? HELP.

My RECEIVER:

http://www.onkyousa.com/zoom.cfm?class=receivers&m=TX-DS797

Click on "Rear View".

Or attached is a picture.

Thanks.

kt, for the best overall sound & flexability, i'd use a Y from the sub preout & run that other rca connect to the lfe in of 1 rp & another connect from that rp's lfe out to the lfe in of the other rp.

or, u could keep the sub preout ONLY to your seperate Dal sub & just connect the rps to your receiver front speaker terminals using only speaker cable. then you wouldn't be using your rp for LFE.

you need to decide what u want for low bass & LFE. would probably be best if your receiver has the control & you set it so LFE ONLY goes to the sub preout. then using the 1st suggestion above u get LFE from both the

rp & the dal sub. the dal sub won't get the low bass from the front channels, but u probably don't want that

anyway as it can lead to some pretty poor quality (muddy) bass, especially on 2 channel music.

either way, keep the rp high & low terminals on the rp connected together w/ the gold straps or w/ speaker wire & w/ speaker cable running from the receiver front speaker terminals to the high speaker terminals of the rp, set fronts:large & sub:yes, & don't bother using the line ins/outs of the rp & front preouts of your receiver.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 02-05-2002 at 03:04 PM