RC-35 Center Speaker 'NOT' magnetically shielded?

thomasc

Hi,

I have a Klipsch RC-35 center speaker which I bought about 5 years ago. Although I havn't used it since then now I decided to use it. But when I put the speaker on top of my CRT TV(36" Sony WEGA), I found out that the image on the CRT screen is distorted. The manual for RC-35 reads that it is magnetically shielded, but the TV screen is distorted.

I'd like to find out:
1) if the speaker has a defect,
2) whether it can be repaired and,
3) if so, how and where I can repair it.

Anyone aware of how to deal with this problem?
Please help.

Just how much distortion do see on the TV screen? Are there just a few "rainbow rings" on the top of the screen or does the picture look like a woodstock-esque "bad trip" when the speaker is playing?

I'm not sure why the TV would have any distortion at all, but I can only theorize that the speaker is not magnetically shielded completely, and may not prevent all magnetic effects if it set it too close a proximity to a TV or the like.

I'm sure others will chip in to shed more light on it for you.

Thanks for the replies!

When the speaker's on top of the TV, the part of the screen that's distorted is about 2 to 2 and a half incehs from the top of the image. and the discolorization is worse on both sides. In order to remove the distortion, I have to lift it up more than 10 inches above the TV.

I tried putting the speaker on the floor, not below the tv but on the floor in front of the TV, so that the back of the speaker is about 3 inches in front of the screen. Although there was no distortion on the screen, I heard that in the long run the magnetic field from the back of the speaker will damage the TV and that the bottom portion of the screen will become dark.

what should I do?
Please help.

• Moderators

Some interference when held very close is normal, even if they are magnetically shielded (which they are), but you shouldn't seen any problems from a few inches away. Please call our tech support on Monday--I believe they have gone home for the weekend-- at 800-554-7724 or email them at support@klipsch.com for their help.

Magnetically shielded usually means that they have a bucking magnet that is glued to the back of the speaker that is the same magnetic side so it pushes away if the glue were not there. This still means that stray magnetic waves can still affect the tv, I remember I had computer speakers really close to my old 19 inch crt and you can see a bit of distortion. Also they use a ferrous can to block magnetic waves but it does also depend on thickness and such.